Unanswered: Database Connection types

Hi,

I am new to databases and am confused about the different connection types ie, DAO, OLE, ADO, ODBC. Can anyone exaplain which one I should be using to connect to a access, SQL server or Mysql database. Or point me to a great web exaplaining which one I should be using.

thanks

Joolz

Re: Database Connection types

Joolz, there is no definitive answer to this, each application/situation must be treated differently. E.g. I am using an Access Project file along with OLE to connect to SQL server but I also, for various reasons, have an Access database that uses ODBC to connect to SQL Server.

Originally posted by joolz
    Hi,

I am new to databases and am confused about the different connection types ie, DAO, OLE, ADO, ODBC. Can anyone exaplain which one I should be using to connect to a access, SQL server or Mysql database. Or point me to a great web exaplaining which one I should be using.

thanks

Joolz

Re: Database Connection types

OLE and ODBC are the two main technologies to connect to tables in remote databases. You can choose any. DAO and ADO are the two methods that microsoft's jet engine uses to access data in those tables. DAO is the older technology while ADO is the newest. There are no major advantages or disadvantages of DAO over ADO. Its jusst your preference, if you like to go with the latest then go with ADO. Remeber that going with ADO doesn't mena that you are dumping DAO for good. All the recordsets that you create from a aform's underlying recordset are internally created using DAO. so you are using DAO although you would have no DAO libraries referenced in your application.

Hope that'll help.

Originally posted by joolz
    Hi,

thanks

Joolz

And as for a website: www.connectionstrings.com