Question Unanswered: Music Store Database

Hi All,

I am starting an online music store and am learning MySQL from the ground up. I have a few questions...

Is MySQL sufficient for large online music stores? (Do you think iTunes or Walmart would use it?)

I have different tables for objects such as albums, songs, artists, etc... but it seems that the songs table is going to get very large very soon, should I break that one up?

I have an artist_id for each song and album, is there some way I can not use it for album, but some how get the artist_id from the song when viewing it's album?

Thanks Alot!

Re: Music Store Database

Originally posted by jcdouville
    Hi All,

I am starting an online music store and am learning MySQL from the ground up. I have a few questions...

Is MySQL sufficient for large online music stores? (Do you think iTunes or Walmart would use it?)

I have different tables for objects such as albums, songs, artists, etc... but it seems that the songs table is going to get very large very soon, should I break that one up?

I have an artist_id for each song and album, is there some way I can not use it for album, but some how get the artist_id from the song when viewing it's album?

Thanks Alot!
    Yes indeed!

<Sufficient for large online...>
    MySQL is indeed large enough for music store. Have a faith!

<...should I break that one...>
    Don't anticipate things like that. Again, have a faith. If you have later some problems, act anly then!

Cheers, Bill

If I was to use MySQL I would probably use InnoDB instead of MyISAM at least. Even if you have UPS and backup power to keep everything running at all times, it's pretty neat to be able to ROLLBACK when you've forgot that "AND id=12345" in your DELETE FROM and saw "654321 rows affected"

Very well, when it comes to the stability of MySQL I have managed to get crashed MyISAM tables when testing some alpha version a few years ago. (It took 48+ hours to do an REPAIR TABLE ... EXTENDED, and the table crashed again soon.)

However, I have never managed to break something with a stable version or with 5.0.0-alpha.

Don't forget the backups, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by snorp View Post
    Even if you have UPS and backup power to keep everything running at all times, it's pretty neat to be able to ROLLBACK when you've forgot that "AND id=12345" in your DELETE FROM and saw "654321 rows affected"
    That is so hilarious and mind-FRIGGIN! I can never imagine that happening. The only way to buy back everything is by selling your soul to the devil LOL!