Unanswered: Installation problem of Dev 2000 on Oracle 8.1.7

Hi

I have encountered a problem while trying to install Dev 2000(Form 4.5) on Oracle 8.1.7. OS is Windows XP Pro on P4 Machine. Oracle 8.1.7 has been successfully installed on this machine. Then I tried to install D2K, I experienced following problems

1) When I tried to install Oracle Developer 2000 after installing Oracle 8i (8.1.7) in the same home, I have an error

The location specified E:\Oracle\Ora817 is already used as an Oracle Home for Oracle 817 Production; it cannot be used.

2) I changed the home and directory name, I got an error
    "nt.stp(905): The specified registry file is invalid

I cleaned the registry with my limited knowledge and reinstall Oracle 8i, and retried D2K but same problem.

Please advice me how to install Oracle Developer on my system.

GS

Developer 2000 is not certified on Windows XP

Sometimes these things install even when they are not certified. I'd just say don't spend too much time on it. Good luck anyway.

BTW, 8.1.7 on XP is only certified as a client install. But hey, just 'cause they never tested it doesn't mean it doesn't work.

YOYO

Hi Yoyo

A slightly off topic question, do you happen to know if the oracle 8i odbc drivers are certified under xp?

New machines on my site are being set up with xp, and whilst most of my clients connect via forms 6i (for which I have patch 15) which is certified to run on xp. A few of my clients use an 8i odbc connection (thankfully these all currently use w2k) but I can see a time in the future when a new pc replaces one of these machines and then I will have to address the issue as to whether 8i is compatible or not.

Alternatively - I could just stop being lazy and install the 9i odbc client - our db is 9i but the application uses forms 6i, so i've left the 8i odbc install in place (if it ain't broke - don't fix it!) lol

Regards

Keith

Originally posted by kfitzsimmons
    Hi Yoyo

A slightly off topic question, do you happen to know if the oracle 8i odbc drivers are certified under xp?

New machines on my site are being set up with xp, and whilst most of my clients connect via forms 6i (for which I have patch 15) which is certified to run on xp. A few of my clients use an 8i odbc connection (thankfully these all currently use w2k) but I can see a time in the future when a new pc replaces one of these machines and then I will have to address the issue as to whether 8i is compatible or not.

Alternatively - I could just stop being lazy and install the 9i odbc client - our db is 9i but the application uses forms 6i, so i've left the 8i odbc install in place (if it ain't broke - don't fix it!) lol

Regards

Keith
    Check out this link:

http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/h...oc.htm#1001180

Look at the section "Oracle Client Components Certified on Windows XP"

(For YOYO, check out: http://www.acronymfinder.com)

Cool - nice link.

Thanks

Keith