Thread: Export/Import

Wink Unanswered: Export/Import

I'm a DBA new to Informix, but have been thrown into it with a baptism of fire...

I have a client that is setup with a production server that is backed up each night and restored into development each night using a perl script and Informix "on" commands. Due to space constraints on the development server, they would like to perform the restore of the production database by only restoring about 80% of the tables into development.

I have a myriad of ways I could do this in Oracle, SqlServer or Sybase, but how do you do this in Informix? Is it possible? I see references to importing and exporting with Informix, but can not locate any specific commands.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    K Tjarks.

Re: Export/Import

Originally posted by kjtjarks
    I'm a DBA new to Informix, but have been thrown into it with a baptism of fire...

I have a client that is setup with a production server that is backed up each night and restored into development each night using a perl script and Informix "on" commands. Due to space constraints on the development server, they would like to perform the restore of the production database by only restoring about 80% of the tables into development.

I have a myriad of ways I could do this in Oracle, SqlServer or Sybase, but how do you do this in Informix? Is it possible? I see references to importing and exporting with Informix, but can not locate any specific commands.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    K Tjarks.
    Hi,

Why don't you look at dbexport / dbimport commands

Regards,

lloyd

Thanks Lloyd, that was the simple command info I needed to place me out in the world of web searching again!
    Thank you so much!
    K. Tjarks

Cool JBourne

I have cut and pasted my responce to an earlier quiry but thought you might find it less labouriouse than trawling through manuals...

The dbexport syntax for exporting a database from an Informix environment to a file system is ....dbexport 'database_name' -ss -q.
    The -ss is server side scripts, so everything associated with this database will be exported out to you choosen area on the file sytem. -q just means 'go and do it and return when your done.
    If you are exporting many databases it might be wise to prefix this command with "time", so measurements can be taken.
    The import command is:... dbimport 'database_name' -q -d 'dbspacename' -l buffered.
    -l is for logged and buffered is self explanitary. Both are at your discretion.