Question Unanswered: combo box limits records

My Problem

I have an underlying query, that when viewed shows 59 records. When I look at the same query from within a combo box it only displays 17 records.

The query is based on a criteria coming from the same form as the combo box is on and yes I do requery the combo box in the gotfocus event.

Here is my Query (SQl). I does work great when run from within the query itself, but is shorted when displaying the records in the combo box.

SELECT tblRoutePoint.RROUTENUM, tblRoutePoint.RPPOINT, tblRoutePoint.RPSTANDADD, tblRoutePoint.PTPOINTTYPENUM
    FROM tblRoutePoint
    WHERE (((tblRoutePoint.RROUTENUM) Like [forms]![frmUtilitySecSplit]![txtRouteNoTwo]) AND ((tblRoutePoint.RPPOINT) Between [forms]![frmUtilitySecSplit]![txtIntailRoutePtBeg] And [forms]![frmUtilitySecSplit]![txtIntailRoutePtEnd]));

My clients have complained about this from time to time, but i have never being able to duplicate the error (untill now) and for them it seems to go away after a while (at least it is not a problem when I am on site). I don't have this problem with any other object (that I know of).

I can't find anything the MS Knowledgebase or other forums (yet), has any one else heard of, or had this problem??

S-

Re: combo box limits records

Originally posted by sbaxter
    My Problem

I have an underlying query, that when viewed shows 59 records. When I look at the same query from within a combo box it only displays 17 records.

The query is based on a criteria coming from the same form as the combo box is on and yes I do requery the combo box in the gotfocus event.

Here is my Query (SQl). I does work great when run from within the query itself, but is shorted when displaying the records in the combo box.

SELECT tblRoutePoint.RROUTENUM, tblRoutePoint.RPPOINT, tblRoutePoint.RPSTANDADD, tblRoutePoint.PTPOINTTYPENUM
    FROM tblRoutePoint
    WHERE (((tblRoutePoint.RROUTENUM) Like [forms]![frmUtilitySecSplit]![txtRouteNoTwo]) AND ((tblRoutePoint.RPPOINT) Between [forms]![frmUtilitySecSplit]![txtIntailRoutePtBeg] And [forms]![frmUtilitySecSplit]![txtIntailRoutePtEnd]));

My clients have complained about this from time to time, but i have never being able to duplicate the error (untill now) and for them it seems to go away after a while (at least it is not a problem when I am on site). I don't have this problem with any other object (that I know of).

I can't find anything the MS Knowledgebase or other forums (yet), has any one else heard of, or had this problem??

S-
    This may sound like a silly question but, how many columns do you have defined for the combobox?

Provided Answers: 1
    [forms]![frmUtilitySecSplit]![txtIntailRoutePtBeg]
    And [forms]![frmUtilitySecSplit]![txtIntailRoutePtEnd]
    Are those static values used to populate the form? Or is there possibility that the combobox is pulling values that further restrict the recordset?

M Owen

There are 4 columns displayed in the combobox (same as a query)

Teddy

The form is populated by other combo box selections and those selections are placed in textboxes and the values in the textboxes are referenced in the query

The problem isn't the SQL statement. When you view the query directly it shows the proper number of records (based on the criteria coming from the form). It is just when I set the combo box rowsource as the query the combo box doesn't show the complete list.

This problem doens't show up all the time either. Sometimes the combo box shows the complete list, other times is doesn't (with the same criteria selected).

S-

M Owen

There are 4 columns displayed in the combobox (same as a query)

Teddy

The form is populated by other combo box selections and those selections are placed in textboxes and the values in the textboxes are referenced in the query

The problem isn't the SQL statement. When you view the query directly it shows the proper number of records (based on the criteria coming from the form). It is just when I set the combo box rowsource as the query the combo box doesn't show the complete list.

This problem doens't show up all the time either. Sometimes the combo box shows the complete list, other times is doesn't (with the same criteria selected).

S-
    How many records are returned when you run the query thru the QBE? Everything that I know about comboboxes based on a table/query states that trolling thru the list, the combobox will "page" as necessary to load the required records into it's memory space ...

I don't know if this will help but in some instances I have had problems with the like statement and I have had to add [& "*" ]to the end of the criteria for the like to get consistant results.
    KC

M Owen

The query, when viewed in QBE, shows 59 records, but only show 17 records are displayed in the combo box.

AZ KC
    The * is taken care of in the textbox (where needed).

I appreciate your help

S-

M Owen

The query, when viewed in QBE, shows 59 records, but only show 17 records are displayed in the combo box.

AZ KC
    The * is taken care of in the textbox (where needed).

I appreciate your help

S-
    EXCEEDINGLY strange ... Can you post the query?

I have a combobox with 11 columns and hundreds of records ... No problems.

The only other thing I can think to check is any stray filters or such ...

See the first posting of the Thread. the query is posted there.

I have never seen this before. In testing I would select the criteria, opening the combo box in see an incomplete listing. Then remove the focus from the combo box, GO back to it and see a complete listing. GO away from the combo box, and back again and see an incomplete list. All with out changing the criteria, or closing the form.

I don't use filters in this Particular DB and the only criteria is three textboxes affecting two field (bother fields are Numeric (one is an integer and the other is double))

If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't believe it myself. I haven't seen this on any other of the forms (65 of them) and I use a lot of combo boxes (average 2-5 per form) in this App, but will keep looking.

And when it shows an incomplete list is appears to only show 2 more records then the number of rows the combo box show at a glance (scroll to the next two records).

Any thoughts would be great

S-

See the first posting of the Thread. the query is posted there.

I have never seen this before. In testing I would select the criteria, opening the combo box in see an incomplete listing. Then remove the focus from the combo box, GO back to it and see a complete listing. GO away from the combo box, and back again and see an incomplete list. All with out changing the criteria, or closing the form.

I don't use filters in this Particular DB and the only criteria is three textboxes affecting two field (bother fields are Numeric (one is an integer and the other is double))

If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't believe it myself. I haven't seen this on any other of the forms (65 of them) and I use a lot of combo boxes (average 2-5 per form) in this App, but will keep looking.

And when it shows an incomplete list is appears to only show 2 more records then the number of rows the combo box show at a glance (scroll to the next two records).

Any thoughts would be great

S-
    AHHHHHHHHHHH! You gave it to me (I think) ... "In testing I would select the criteria, opening the combo box in see an incomplete listing. Then remove the focus from the combo box, GO back to it and see a complete listing. ..."

Driver latency? Maybe the combobox is constantly requerying and what happens is you're catching it in the middle of the update ... Possible?

How about this: Try constructing the SQL in a string and set that to the rowsource of the combobox ... Eliminate the calls to the form's textbox controls ...

M Owen

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try and let you know.

S-