Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: split table

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Zutphen,Netherlands
    Posts
    256

    Unanswered: split table

    I have one Human Resource table that consists of 380 columns.
    Exporting the data to Excel / Access fails, because there are too many columns.

    Can anyone think of a FAST way to split the table into 2 seperate entities to be able to export the data?

    I am out of inspiration on this one............
    Ties Blom
    Senior Application Developer BI
    Getronics Healthcare
    DB2,ORACLE,Powercenter,BusObj,Access,
    SQL, SQL server

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Europe, Finland, Helsinki
    Posts
    64

    Re: split table

    Originally posted by blom0344
    I have one Human Resource table that consists of 380 columns.
    Exporting the data to Excel / Access fails, because there are too many columns.

    Can anyone think of a FAST way to split the table into 2 seperate entities to be able to export the data?

    I am out of inspiration on this one............
    Hi!

    Get the DDL out, edit it and create 2 or more DB2 views. That's teh way I have done things like that.

    Cheers, Bill

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,516
    Provided Answers: 1

    Re: split table

    Originally posted by blom0344
    I have one Human Resource table that consists of 380 columns.
    Exporting the data to Excel / Access fails, because there are too many columns.

    Can anyone think of a FAST way to split the table into 2 seperate entities to be able to export the data?

    I am out of inspiration on this one............
    I'm not sure I understand your problem clearly... Is there anything that prevents you from specifying only some of the columns during export?

    EXPORT TO '/tmp/test.csv' OF DEL
    SELECT FIELD1, FIELD2, .., FIELD150 FROM STRANGE_TABLE...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Zutphen,Netherlands
    Posts
    256

    Talking

    Well, I suggested they (= Human resources) would come up with a list of fields for me to select. But the lazy buggers decided they wanted all 380 fields whereas two-thirds is meaningless.

    No user-group as useless as these no-brainers
    Ties Blom
    Senior Application Developer BI
    Getronics Healthcare
    DB2,ORACLE,Powercenter,BusObj,Access,
    SQL, SQL server

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,516
    Provided Answers: 1
    Originally posted by blom0344
    Well, I suggested they (= Human resources) would come up with a list of fields for me to select. But the lazy buggers decided they wanted all 380 fields whereas two-thirds is meaningless.

    No user-group as useless as these no-brainers
    Hey, careful there - they manage your benefits :-)

    I just checked my Excel - it has a limitation of 256 fields per worksheet (Excel 2002). It looks like your HR people are out of luck.

    You could still export your data into two separate csv files and import them into two separate Excel worksheets...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    48
    Try creating 2-3 views or try extracting 2 -3 sets of data having say 100 columns and then export it to excel and maybe you can create multiple worksheets if you use up all the columns in 1 worksheet.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Zutphen,Netherlands
    Posts
    256
    Originally posted by MahendraSetty
    Try creating 2-3 views or try extracting 2 -3 sets of data having say 100 columns and then export it to excel and maybe you can create multiple worksheets if you use up all the columns in 1 worksheet.
    I messed around with the tables DDL and split everything in half, using pass-through queries in access, making sure to incorporate the primary key in both subsets.

    It ain't pretty ,but they will have to live with it....
    Ties Blom
    Senior Application Developer BI
    Getronics Healthcare
    DB2,ORACLE,Powercenter,BusObj,Access,
    SQL, SQL server

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •