Unanswered: DTS and Interbase/Firebird

I have written several DTS pakages to copy data from an Interbase/Firebird db to SQL Server. They execute under Enterrpise Manager perfectly but when scheduled return an error.

I am aware that permissions are a normal source of these problems but I have hopefully excluded them from teh equation by using a local admin/domain/sysadmin user throughout for SEM, SQLServerAgent and even the SQLServerAgentProxy.

The problem appears to be related to the interaction between the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers and the Interbase/Firebird Driver. I have checked several forums and the MSDN website but few people seem to have experienced this type of problem in this environment.

Error msgs:

Step Error Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
    Step Error Description:[Easysoft][InterBase]unavailable database
    Step Error code: 80004005
    Step Error Help File:
    Step Error Help Context ID:0

OR

Step Error Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
    Step Error Description:unavailable database
    Step Error code: 80040E4D
    Step Error Help File:
    Step Error Help Context ID:0

My Setup:

MS SQL Server 2000 with SP3
    MDAC 2.8 RTM
    Interbase v6 /Firebird 1.03 db Server

Have tried the following driver/connectors:

Firebird ODBC v1.02.00.41
    Easysoft ODBC v2.01.00.01
    XTG Interbase6 ODBC v1.00.00.15

I have even tried OLE DB providers for Interbase/Firebird but they won't schedule either giving me an SQLCODE=-904

Any insight/help/sympathy appreciated. I have struggled with this single issue for nearly a week.

Thumbs up Interbase ODBC Setup problem

I finally resolved the issue and wanted to post it so that someone else might benefit.

There is a difference between the way Enterprise Manager 'interfaces' with the ODBC connections setup on the machine and the way SQL Server Agent does when a scheduled job is executed. Not entirely sure what the difference is I think that the difference is that SQL Enterprise Manager assumes / defaults to a TCP/IP connection whereas the SQL Server Agent assumes / defaults to a named pipe connection.

So if you are using Interbase make sure you specify a TCP/IP connection in the ODBC setup, e.g. 127.0.0.1:C:\Interbase\db\test.gdb