Unanswered: Registrations Database help needed

I am trying to design a database that stores information for a football (Soccer) League...

the purpose of this database is to log players registered in our leagues..

a player is required to fill out a form each season, this form has a reference number and players details on it..

a player is permitted to transfer between clubs twice within the season.

a player can only play for 1 team in any one season.

the trouble i am having is tracking the players movements...

i want to know which players have played in which competions throughout the season...

each team will complete the teamsheet, then send it to me. i want to then complete the form in my database, and for the database to update any records of who has played in which competition and for which club.

when a player transfers from one club to another i also need this to be recorded....

i hope this makes some kind of sense.

cheers

Andy

Provided Answers: 1
    well that's a bit of a hum-dinger there isn't it?

For starters, think of all the information that you're going to need. Then think of how all this information relates to everything else. Sketch it out on paper, see what you come up with.

eg you have three phyiscal entites, players, clubs and teams. So those would all be seperate tables. Now how would you describe the relationship between these entities? More tables.

o ki have had a play and come up with this.....

any suggestions are welcome please
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi i have been playing around with this for weeks now and seem to be just chasing my tail.... can anyone offer me some assistance please.

i will try to elaborate on my project to hopefully try to clarify my position.

I am soon to take over the role as Registration secretary of the football (soccer) league that i play in. The position requires a number of things to be carried out.

1) input the details of all players registered to play in our league.....the form is at....Click Here To See Registration Form

so for this section i need the Database to store every bit of detail about which player is playing for which team and when.

2) after each game both teams that have played in a specific match need to provide a Teamsheet with the match details on it...Click here to see the Teamsheet

this is then somehow to be entered into a database for the tracking of a number of things....

League results
    scoring of linesman, referee's etc (this goes towards a presentation over the season)
    Ensuring that teams are only playing players that are registered to there club....
    Ensuring that players who have played in a cup competition for another team that season is highlighted as this is not allowed (Cup Tied)

3) eash month the County Football association issue a list of players who are ineligable to play for various reasons...these players are given suspensions ranging from 7 - 185 days this also ties in with the teamsheets to ensure that the play is not played while under suspension.

as we speak all of the above is currently done manually via a pad of paper and has many floors...and many teams blag the system, making a mockery of our league.

i just need to have a system that is going to record all the registration details, including Transfers. Somewhere to capture all the data on the Teamsheets, remebering that i will have 2 of these from each match, although the detail will be different.

and finally a reporting tool to obtain the data i am after...

I honestly am totally lost with where to go here, i have offered to do this job out of the kindness of my heart to try and keep the league running, but think i may have bitten off more than i can chew here.

Does this sound extremley difficult to do??

My programming skills aren't too clever to be honest.

I am familiar with table set up, basic queries, forms i am fine with, reports are cool and basic macro's.

I really really could do with your help!!!

if you need anymore questions answered please feel free to email me...or post back here

Thanks

Andy

i will try and play around with it in my free time, and then post back...

thank you very much indeed, the world would be a better place if it was full of people as helpful as you!!!!!

no seriously cheers

Hi ive had a quick peep, at your db.

having made something like this quite sometime ago for a welsh league one or two things come to mind.
    1. Watch the DATA PROTECTION ACT - you have private details in the DB so UK law will need close monitoring (names addresses - telephones etc)

2. You dont have and records to cover the date of transfer if one is made out of a club you only have a transfer IN

3. Will each player have their team number allocated on joining the club ?

4. match officials - will you need to keep a record of all these so that you can use a combo to fill in the referees name?

5. Consider using a combo to data fill the opposing team name - quicker for you

6. think about recording the name AND dob of each player against each club that way you will be able to monitor if you have the same person signed for more that one club (it does happen)

7. what about players that may be red carded? if a player is banned for a period there is no obvious way of making sure that that place is NOT either played or placed as a sub (oldest trick in the book)

but you are on the right track - just keep thinking about what YOU will be asked to produce

if you need anything else in regard to this DB shout and ill look closer at the working model for you

regards

gareth

hi thanks for your input,

1) i will bear in mind your points on the data protection act.
    2)not sure i follow you here sorry
    3)the only number that the player is linked to is the registration number on the registration form, although if the player transfers this number could change, but i would still need to link both registration number if this is the case..
    4)yes
    5)ok
    6) ok
    7)ok, but dunno how to overcome this problem
    8)I am shouting!!!! help!!!

cheers

Andy

Unfortunately I can't open yor attachment.....but saw garethfx's comments.

You might find this hard to believe but from what I can see you are talking about a data base that is a simplified version of one we use for insurance telemarketing!!

I will describe basically how it works and this might give you some ideas. And by the way there is not one word of code used. Just macros.

Just as you a have registration form from which you enter data so we enter prospect details. There are also some fields which "mark" the prospect. For example is he categorised as a business hour call or home call, a number which assigns him to a particular insurance agent. That latter number alllows the data base to open the correct diary.

When telemarketing is commenced a form is open and apart from his details it has every possible outcome from a cold call being made. Such things as..no answer..phone engaged..no success.. appointment made and so on. We have 13 different potential outcomes from a call

When the call is made a couple of things happen. A number is entered in the appropriate field and that number represents the attempt made. In other words if the first call results in "no answer" then a 1 is entered. If the second call is "enagaged" then a 2 is enter for that field. These various entries also result in the prospect moving through various stages so that he disappears from one form and appears on another form. Yours will be mch easie to make since the data base won't be operated in a sales environment where pressure and speed are always present.

When each call is made the time and date is also recorded and 5 fields are allocated for that in the MainTable

There is also a second table and when a call is made the form based on that table/query is opened and the details inserted with SetValue. So if we called someone 1000 times then they would have 1000 records in that table and that would include the all the details of the call. In fact we use that data to tell us the best days and times to call different categories of prospects.

The main thing you really need to be able to do is the macro action SetValue and also the conditions for which it will do its thing.

One tip I would pass on, which is totally contrary to data base thinking, is to put far more fields in your table than you ever think you will need. When you make a query that will support a form then bring all the fields down from the table.

Mike

Hi andy

on point 2 of my suggestions - If a player transfer from a club to another it would be wise to have the leaving date from the first club recorded as well as the start date at the new club.

on point 3 - player number.If you make a new record for a player moving it will the require that player to have a new reg no (autonumber is good enough) and this new record will allow you to track the player in a from - to situation.

on point 7 the yellow or red card - may be wise to place a 2 check boxes in the player names table - one called red the other yellow ( you can track players for bans with this an extra 2 fields Ban_From & Ban_to may help in the overseeing, both of course date fields.

and point 8 what in the fisrt instance would you like help on first to get you moving is it design, form, query?

rgards
    gareth

right i have had a bit of a play with this and am not really getting to far...

i have attached my sample db for you to reference.

Problem number 1)

In my table

tbl_Registrations

you will see that

registrations for 1 & 2 are identical except for the registration number, a player is not able to be present at the same club with two registration numbers at the same time.
    the only way the player could be linked to the club twice would be if he left to play for another club then returned

i need a way to stop this.

Any Suggestions please

also if there is anything wrong with my table layout or relationships i would love to hear your views

cheers

Andy

Ive tried to open your DB says its admin locked could you try again?

regards

gareth

Hi everyone, i am woundering if there is anyone out there who can help me, i have been left right in the learch with this problem.....

a user on this forum, was helping me and assured me that they were close to finishing a small project for me...i took there word as being good, but they have now disappeared of the scene and i have not heard from them in ages.....

i am trying to build a simple database to store players info...which i believe i have done.

i am also trying to store a record of which players play in which fixtures etc....but this is the part i am struggling with....can someone please have a look at my DB and point me in the right direction... i really am lost here.

Cheers

Andy