Question Unanswered: Problem connecting to remote site with Enterprise Manager

Hi All,

Recently had to rebuild our SQLServer installation from scratch! major pain!! We had a remote server running a replicated version of the internal database system for the website. We also have a SQL DB hosted with a new ISP which is in test mode. All managed via EM.

Re-installed software, upgaded tp SP3, new MDAC. Set up the references for the two external DB's with the Client Network Utility. In EM set up a connection to DB on the new ISP, works perfectly, tried on the old DB and get 'SQL Server is not running or access denied' error message.

I confirmed the server is running, as its our live site. Cant connect using Query Analyser. I can ping the adress successfully. I've created new user logings that mach on both machines/servers, still no luck!

Can anyone suggest what the problem is/might be or how to fix... I'm flat out of ideas!

Major THANKS! for any gems...

Davej

Can u connect throug Query-Analyzer locally on the server. Is it running in Mixed-Mode? I guess it's non with in ur domain, so TCP/IP protocol must be enabled on this and default port etc. And are u connecting using windows authentication(won't work), try connecting using SQL Authentication. Is it a default instance or named instance?
    Howdy!

Thanks Talat. In answer to your questions...
    1) I can't connect through QA
    2) It is running in mix mode
    3) It's running TCP with default port, which I'll need to change!
    4) It is using SQL Authentication
    5) Is it a default instance or named instance? not sure what you mean here!

Regards

Davej

Hi, U can check the instance in services group; if it's MSSSQLSERVER; it would be default instance. If MSSQL$..., it's a named instance. Named instance is not listening to defualt TCP/IP port that's why i asked. Please make sure that the service is running and to isolate the problem, start the service locally i.e. change its startup-service account to Local-System. Then try to connect locally. Also please post the error message u receive while connecting locally thru Query-Analyzer.
    U say that it's running in mixed mode, how come u know if u can't connect to it? Is there a specify type of user thru which u can't log into the server?

Howdy!

Thumbs up

Hi Talat,

Problem solved... came across some documentation, purely by accident, which was titled 'how to setup the replication after a rebuild of the server' the first line states that the remote server is setup with a port number of 5001. Now if i hadn't of come across that doc there is no way the EM connection would of worked!

It's all connected now. Thanks for your help.

Regards

Davej