Unanswered: Microsoft Access permissions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have a client that's trying to move an old Access database to his new system. When he tries to open the moved file, he gets the message: "You do not have the necessary permissions to use the (database) object. Have your system adminsitrator or the person who created this object establish the appropriate permissions for you."

Looking on the internet, I see I'm probably in over my head. However, it's such a convoluted migration, I thought it might be something simpler that's only responding with this message.

The whole story: A person in India created this for him, years ago in Access 2. He has been using it until recently on an old laptop running Win95 with Access 97. When you open the file on the old system in A97, you are prompted for a user/pwd, which he has, and it works fine.

He's now has a new laptop running XP and Access 2003. Rather than mess with trying to get connectivity in the old junker, we pulled his hard drive and burnt his data onto a DVD and now the .mdb file has been copied onto his desktop. I've reset the read only attributes from the .mdb file.

It seems to me that if he has the user/pwd for the file, he ought to be able to get past the permissions problem. I fully expect to run into Access version/data conversion problems but I didn't think I wouldn't even be able to get started.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Matthew

Did you move the system.mdw file as well? This is where the user ids and passwords are kept.
    KC

No, it appears he didn't. I see it in C:\windows\system\system folder on the old machine but no *.mdw anywhere on the new one. I just tried copying it to the same location on the new system but still get the permissions error (I also removed read-only attributes). I suppose it's not that easy...? Can you point me a bit farther?

Thank you

find the file WRKGADM.EXE
    sometimes found C:\WINDOWS\system32\WRKGADM.EXE and execute it
    this will prompt you for the location of the workgroup file. If there is a default path already in there it might be best to select the join option and you will be prompted to navigate to this workgroup file and join it.

Hopefully this will help.
    KC

KC,

I tried to reply earlier but I guess the forum was being updated. Anyway, that was it. Thanks very much.