Thread: SQL Mail

Unanswered: SQL Mail

Hello All.

I have previously set up my SQL Mail in my SQL 7 with success and have been sending email from that server. Recently, when I want to do the same for my SQL 2000, I couldn't.

See attached screen shot. My SQL Mail could not be started. I can't remember what I have done previously to make the SQL Mail in SQL 7 works.

Appreciate if someone here could advise me what I have missed out. Circled in blue was the old server and in red is the SQL 2000 which I don't see the "Start" option in the pop up window.

Please help. Thank you.

Best regards
    Teck Boon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SQLMail.bmp  

You need to log in as the account which is running SQL Server and the Agent. You need to run Outlook and set up Outlook as the default mail client and assign it an Exchange mailbox. You can then go into properties on the database and the Agent and set "MS Exchange Settings" as the default mail client.
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

Thank you for your reply but I have already done all that.

Cool

Hi Teck Boon,

I have found that I needed to run SQL Server Agent under a different Logon to SQL Server to get SQL Mail working. You will need to set up the mail profile while logged on under the SQL Server Agent Logon. Once this is done go back to your normal logon for the SQL Server, open up Enterprise Manager and right click on SQL Server Agent and go to properties. From there you will be able to test your Mail Profile.

Regards, Troy.

That's not the right way to do it. Why would you want to do this? It needs to be the same account. Why you click on properties of SQL Agent, can you see the option to choose MS Exchange Settings???? If so, are you getting an error message when you test?

Is the owner of the SQL Agent service a domain admin account?
    MeanOldDBA

Try looking at these two KN articles from MS:

KB 315886 INF: Common SQL Mail problems

KB 263556 INF: How to Configure SQL Mail

regards,

hmscott

there is no start option for sql mail. at least not in the context menu.
    i have used it for years and all you can do is indicate the profile that you are connecting to through the properties. then test it to see if it establishes a mapi connection.

what makes you think that it is not starting.
    any error messages?

also i usually use it with a single domain account for the sql service and the sql server agent service and it works fine.

log on as that account create a profile set up the sql server agent mail process and then set up sql mail
    create an operator and test sending an email to your account

Hello All.

Thank you for all your kind advises.

What I have done previously: -
    1. Right click on SQL Mail.
    2. Select properties and click on Test button. See result below.

Does the result shows it is working? And the problem doesn't come from SQL mail but from my mail software?

My previous server setup has a Start and Stop option. Pls see 2nd screen shot.

Once again. Thank you All.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mapi.bmp   Email_StartStop_Options.bmp  

I'm a little confused here. Haven't you already identified the issue as being that SQL Agent mail is not started.

1. Right-click on the SQL Server Agent.
    2. Test the mail profile there.

If this works, your email service is working.

Now go to Query Analyzer and run an xp_sendmail to send a mail message:

EXEC xp_sendmail 'test@test.com','test'

Does that send an email?
    MeanOldDBA

No. I have tested many times previously but test email doesn't reach me. Am I right to say that SQL mail is working fine and the problem comes from my mail software (MS outlook)?

I will check my mail software again.

Thank you for your email reply.

Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by limteckboon
    No. I have tested many times previously but test email doesn't reach me. Am I right to say that SQL mail is working fine and the problem comes from my mail software (MS outlook)?

I will check my mail software again.

Thank you for your email reply.

Best regards
    No you're not. SQL Mail cannot run if Outlook is not set up properly.

1. Are your SQL Server and SQL Server Agent services (Control Panel/Services) running under a domain account?

2. When you login as this account, can you open outlook and pull up mail from the Exchange mailbox you have set up for SQL Server?

3. Is oulook set as your default mail client?

4. If you go to Control Panel and click on mail, does it show MS Exchange Settings? If you click on this, does it show an Exchange email account?

If you haven't got the above setup correctly SQL Mail will "never" work. If you have this set up correctly it will work. It's that simple really.
    MeanOldDBA

Try MS knowledge base article 293422. (Need to set "Send As" permission for the account SQL is using.)

this article How to set up sql mail explains the entire process that you need to perform.