Unanswered: Change combobox value

Might be a tad newbish;

i tried changing the value of the combobox through code but it doesn't seem to let me do this...

when i add this code to the BeforeUpdate section of the combo box,

Me.StatusTypeID.Value = 2

it just rejects it and gives me an error saying that it cant make the change.
    However, if i do the same thing to a command1_click , it lets me do it.

thx!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrie
    Might be a tad newbish;

i tried changing the value of the combobox through code but it doesn't seem to let me do this...

when i add this code to the BeforeUpdate section of the combo box,

Me.StatusTypeID.Value = 2

it just rejects it and gives me an error saying that it cant make the change.
    However, if i do the same thing to a command1_click , it lets me do it.

thx!
    You can't on a Before_Update event ... As for changing the value thru code...

MyCombobox.Value= Some value here

-or-

MyCombobox.Column(XXX,YYY) = Some value here

lol thx...yea i had a hunch it was the before_update...will try on the on_change or after_update..

lol thx...yea i had a hunch it was the before_update...will try on the on_change or after_update..
    Why bother?

here's the impetus behind this whole thing;

if the user selects a specific value from that list, i want it to prompt them with "Do you really want to change this, vbYesNo" ..and if yes, it sticks the change...if no, it reverts to previous state;

however, to do the previous state, i need to change the value during the on_change or on_afterUpdate

any quicker, less painful solutions?

here's the impetus behind this whole thing;

if the user selects a specific value from that list, i want it to prompt them with "Do you really want to change this, vbYesNo" ..and if yes, it sticks the change...if no, it reverts to previous state;

however, to do the previous state, i need to change the value during the on_change or on_afterUpdate

any quicker, less painful solutions?
    Ahhhhh .... That's a whole nother kettle of fish. You need to do your prompt in the Before_Update event then BUT, if they cancel (or say no) merely set the Canel flag to something non-zero ... Also you might wish to capture the original value to restore ... You do this in the After_Update because the original value will not be restored otherwise ... Just set the vule to what you had before ...

yea i stored the prev state in a public var...that gets it value changed whenever on_click...or maybe on_change

but i didn't know bout that part changing cancel to non-zero;
    thx!