Unanswered: Classical Login Problem

Note: before you flame me, yes I HAVE thoroughly searched the forums but could not find what I needed.

Ok, here is the situation. I wish to implement a login system with 2 access levels: user -> can view reports, and data but cannot modify anything
    admin -> can do anything form modifying/deleting/adding data to messing with tables/etc

The Following Images Should help illustrate this better.

here are my questions

1.) How Do I store the admin password? Having a seperate table with only one row does not seem to make much sense does it?

2.) How do I FORCE typed passwords to be no longer than 10 characters (so the text box has a maximum size of 10) ?

the images should help illustrate these questions/concerns a little better

A regular user logging in...
    http://shassouneh.homestead.com/files/userlogin.jpg

An admin logging in with a password
    http://shassouneh.homestead.com/files/adminlogin.jpg

Please do not hesitate to respond if u know you can help
    Last edited by shassouneh; 04-26-04 at 18:20.

Provided Answers: 1
    Have you considered using mde's? It sounds like it would be just the ticket...?

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    Have you considered using mde's? It sounds like it would be just the ticket...?
    I have no idea what MDEs are! That's probably why I have been trying to do all of this manually! Can someone shed some light on MDEs or maybe look at how I am doing it and guide me through questions 1 and 2?

PS: Teddy thanx for the reply. Any and all feedback is much appreciated

Provided Answers: 1
    An mde is essentially a "compiled" version of your application. well... not so much compiled, but it locks everything. Then you can distribute this "compiled" mde which is secure, and retain the mdb yourself.

Here's an excerpt from the help text:
    If your database contains Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) (Visual Basic for Applications (VBA): A macro-language version of Microsoft Visual Basic that is used to program Windows applications and is included with several Microsoft applications.) code, saving your Microsoft Access database (database: A collection of data related to a particular subject or purpose. Within a database, information about a particular entity, such as an employee or order, is categorized into tables, records, and fields.) as an MDE file compiles all modules, removes all editable source code, and compacts the destination database. Your Visual Basic code will continue to run, but it cannot be viewed or edited. Saving your database as an MDE file helps protect your forms and reports without requiring users to log on or requiring you to create and manage the user accounts (user account: An account identified by a user name and personal ID (PID) that is created to manage the user's permissions to access database objects in an Access workgroup.) and permissions (permissions: A set of attributes that specifies what kind of access a user has to data or objects in a database.) that are needed for user-level security (user-level security: When using user-level security in an Access database, a database administrator or an object's owner can grant individual users or groups of users specific permissions to tables, queries, forms, reports, and macros.). Your database will continue to function as it did— -you can still update data and run reports.

oh wow

Oh that's cool. But how could I have 2 access levels? One where an "admin" has access to everything including tables, data, etc?

Or do you mean I would have an MDE and then the admin would have to manually open the MDB file to make changes manually?

Also, How can I create an MDE version of the database?

Thanx for all the help Teddy. Much appreciated