Unanswered: Linked server from SQL Server 2000 to Sybase 12

How do I tap advanced functionality like #temptable and @var from openquery? There is a linked server from SQL Server 2000 to Sybase 12 using Sybase.ASEOLEDBProvider.
    Executing an openquery statement from MS SQL will retrieve Sybase data; however, I have no advanced functionality available. When I try to use temporary #tables or declare @vars it returns this error...
    Server: Msg 7357, Level 16, State 2, Line 1, Could not process object '…OLE DB error trace [Non-interface error: OLE DB provider unable to process object, since the object has no columnsProviderName='Sybase.ASEOLEDBProvider', Query=…

Linked Server configuration:
    Provider options: AllowInProcess is checked
    Server options: Collation Compatible, Data Access, RPC and RPC Out are checked

Does anyone have a suggestion or alternative for this functionality? Thank you very much for your input.

Provided Answers: 54
    Use OpenQuery to execute a Sybase stored procedure?

-PatP

thanks anyway

Thanks, but 'exec MySybaseSP' locks up, then crashes the sql server.

We had those Sybase drivers for a while! If you get the new ones (dated early March 2004), they play much more nicely with other vendor's toys!

-PatP

maybe?

We will try it. Thanks!

Pat,
    Thank you so much for your post! You give me hope.
    Are the Sybase ASE OLE DB new drivers packaged with SDK 12.5.3 or should I look for something different?
    Are you using SQL 2000 with linked server to Sybase 12.5? With these options, or something more?
    Provider options: AllowInProcess is checked
    Server options: Collation Compatible, Data Access, RPC and RPC Out are checked

Somebody downloaded the "latest and greatest", possibly from the Sybase web site. The downloaded ODBC drivers fixed a lot of ill-defined problems that sometimes worked, sometimes didn't, but always made life more difficult than we really required.

-PatP