Smile Pleeease...What is the cursor, index, and cluster?with an example

I studied computer sience in the university?
    In my study we practice some SQL statements with Oracle, and SQL Server
    Also, We studied some database concepts like
    But, until now I haven't clear opinion about CLUSTERS, INDEXES, and CURSORS in the database?

Please give an overview about them with small examples to clarify

Thank you very much

CLUSTERS, INDEXES, and CURSORS

Hi!

Some fast ansvers:

CLUSTERS - this depends very much what product you are talking. Usually this has something to do how the data is located on the disk.
    INDEXES - THE MOST INPORTANT feature in real life. Is a physical data structure, typically a b-tree. They are invisble to the SQL-queries, but have a tremendous performace issue.
    CURSORS - SQL query usually returns many rows. C, COBOL etc. 3GL-languages can read only one row a time. That's why those program languages need to define a cursor, a feature that allows program to read one row in time.

Cheers, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by hurmavi
    Hi!

Some fast ansvers:

CLUSTERS - this depends very much what product you are talking. Usually this has something to do how the data is located on the disk.
    INDEXES - THE MOST INPORTANT feature in real life. Is a physical data structure, typically a b-tree. They are invisble to the SQL-queries, but have a tremendous performace issue.
    CURSORS - SQL query usually returns many rows. C, COBOL etc. 3GL-languages can read only one row a time. That's why those program languages need to define a cursor, a feature that allows program to read one row in time.

Cheers, Bill
    Bill, you probably wanted to say that if you DON'T have indexes than you will have a performance issue.