Question Unanswered: What version of access would you recommend

Hi I have to update a access database from I think 96??

Anyway I was hoping someone could advise me on what the best (most stable) supported version of access would be to update to?

Thanks Nixies

I am sure one way or another you can get the data out and in to a newer version - if it has any export features, just by getting the data in to a delimited format (.txt) you should then be able to do anything you wish.

Outright I guess I would recommend the latest greatest 2003 which although seems to be becoming a bit of a headache for developers, should have all the features and options you could ever wish for - including creating Db's in 97, 2000 and 2002 formats.
    http://www.scirocco.ca/images/banner...occobanner.gif

Download for FREE the ADO/DAO Data Controls that makes life EASIER developing database applications in: VB, FoxPro, Access, VC++, .NET etc... Navigate, Add New, Delete, Update, Search, Undo and Save your changes. Supports Disconnected Recordsets and Transactions!

Or try our Ask An Expert service to answer any of your questions!

I don't really have much experience of playing around with different versions of Access - main reason is that the users I develop for may have either 2000, XP or 2003. If you create an MDE for others to use, earlier versions of Access than the one you used don't seem to be able to open it. As such, I use 2000. I didn't investigate it all that much at the time as I was very much an amateur and one version seemed as good as another, but unless someone knows of a way round this then it may be a consideration when making your choice - assuming you do or will create MDEs.

Ow I was kinda persuming I could just get the CD insert and push the update version of database button, have I been a little hopefull, how hard is the upgrade, The front end is also all written in access!

If I follow you, you have a database that you want to upgrade to a more revent version of access? You can upgrade it to any version below and including the one you have installed (down to about A97) - open the database and click Tools, Database Utilities, Convert Database and select your format. I just wasn't clear whether you were talking about the version of Access you wanted to install or the version you wanted to convert a specific database to; sorry if I made things sound more difficult than they are. As I say, can't help on the specific version though.

Depending on the amount if VBA and the type of VBA, You may of may not have a clean conversion

For example. If Access 97 you could only use DAO for accessing the data (recordsets) in VBA. WIth 2000 you have two choices (DAO or ADO), becuase of this so code didn't work in the new coverted DB, untill you went through the code and specified which recordset you were using when you declared your variables.

The odds of converting and having no problems "what-so-ever" are limited, however there shouldn't be to many

S-