Unanswered: Major Problems with OWC and ASP exporting to Excel
Ok, I am posting a very important note: I need a lot of basic hand holding on this one
1) I don't understand the difference between using the technique and complete ways of using Server.CreateObject("Excel.Application") vs. Server.CreateObject("OWC.Spreadsheet"). What is the difference between the two? I have also seen Server.CreateObject("Excel.Sheet"), what is that in the context of these 3?
2) I need the history and what is used today....Excel.Application or OWC?
3) I am having problems with my code below. It doesn't do anything. The function is indeed getting to the Call objSpreadsheet.Export
My ultimage goals:
1) I will be in the end allowing the end user to click on a link or button that downloads the ASP table(s) into one or more worksheets in one Excel file
2) I will need to format the cell colors in Excel to match what my HTML table is showing...so retain the formatting.
So here is my code which when is called, nothing happens. It is indeed getting to the line Call objSpreadsheet.Export("C:\testing.xls",0) but I am not getting prompted (as a client) to save the data into an Excel doc.
On Error Resume Next
Set objSpreadsheet = Server.CreateObject("OWC.Spreadsheet")
objSpreadsheet.Cells(1,1).Value = "testing"
if isObject(objSpreadsheet) then
response.write("Object does not exist")
that way is totally different than what I am using. That is like a quick dirty way and doesn't provide much other than exporting your data from a table into Excel....that is not what I am doing, I am exporting from an array to Excel and furthermore I have to be able to format the excel data, cells, etc. and also move them into one spreadsheet via multiple worksheets.
thanks anyway. I am using OWC (Office Web Components) here which is way more advanced