Unanswered: Issue while restoring a datafile from RMAN Backup

Hi,

My Setup Details:
    RDBMS: Oracle9i R-2 9.2.0.4.0 (the DB Instance Name is HIGFL)

I have done the following steps for backup & facing few issues during recovery. The sequence is given below:
    1. I have taken a full HOT backup using RMAN like this
    run
    {
    allocate channel ch1 type disk format '/mnt43/db/higfl_full_backup.dmp';
    backup database;
    }
    ==> It has completeted the backup properly & no error in this operation.

2. The DB HIGFL was up & running OK.
    3. Now, the one of the datafile /mnt11/db/higfl/test/higfl_test_data1.dbf got deleted from its direcotry. This datafile belongs to one of my tablespace TEST.

4. I tried to restore the deleted datafile from above full backup using RMAN like this:
    run
    {
    allocate channel ch1 type disk format '/mnt43/db/higfl_full_backup.dmp';
    restore datafile ' /mnt11/db/higfl/test/higfl_test_data1.dbf';
    }
    ==> it has given some error that unable to locate file in backup etc. (i do not remember complete error message). But in the same way previously i had restored a deleted archive log file to its original location from Archive Logs Backup Set using RMAN in the same way. So, what is happening in this case..??

4. I then tried to shutdown my instance like SQL>shutdown immediate; It is not performed as it could not find the deleted datafile there.
    5. I then tried SQL> shutdown abort; & it as terminated my Oracle Instance HIFL.
    6. Now, when i tried to startup instance HIGFL like SQL>startup; it has given the same error mesage as it could not find the relevant data file. And it is not allowing me to login any other a/c except SYS. Becuase ALTER DATABASE OPEN command has not been completed properly.
    7. At this point, when i try to connect to RMAN catalog, it says ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization shutdown in progress. and i can not start rman recovery. Not able to connect to calalog database which is this DB HIGFL.

Hope i am able to list all my points. Any help / suggestion pls. Though it is not my production database but the situation may occur like this in production enviornment also. Please help. I am in a fix as what to do.

Thanks.

Regards,
    Kamesh Rastogi
    - KR

Do you have your RMAN repository in the same database as the target? This will not work you need the repository to be up and running so you can rely on the database information. If the repository exist on the target database then when the target database is down so is your repository so RMAN cannot recover itself. You need two databases for RMAN to work properly The target(S) and the repository and you use general backup (non RMAN) procedures to keep the repository backed up and available. If this is the case (Is it you that also had a simular post?) then ignore my response to it as it assumes you have to databases and you droped the tablespace not deleted the datafile (two different things).

Angry Is your production data safe?

Better check. Is your production RMAN repository in the same database as your production data. If so you are not recoverable immediatly take a normal (non RMAN) backup of your production system then set up a proper two database system for RMAN to adaquatly protect your production data.

HI borzoi,
    Thanks for ur suggestion. Yes..it is always better to keep recovery catalog to some other database for better recover scenario. We are in set-up stage and certainly we will take note of this. Thanks.

Regarading this issue, i was able to recover my deleted datafile..I logged in as SYS and made the deleted datafile (or possibly the tablespace as whole) OFFLINE. Then i shutdown the instance again...This time it did not check the datafile as it was offline. Restarted the DB instance...OK. and then restore / recover my deleted datafile from RMAN backup set. After that made that datafile back to online.

It has worked for me & i found out the reason also for this. Thanks.

Regards,
    Kamesh Rastogi
    - KR