Unanswered: Primary key and replication

Hi,

I have a warm standby architecture ( v11.5 ) with table replication level ( set_reptable )

an "update" statement which don't use text/image column in the where clause, generate the error message below. the table don't have Primary key constraint, but there is an index.

my question is, if i don't use replication definition for this table, must i have definitely a primary key

repserver errror log
    ------------------

E. 2004/04/22 17:42:09. ERROR #1028 DSI EXEC(104(1) SYBG2R_BATCH.g2r) - dsiqmint.c(2774)
    Message from server: Message: 306, State 1, Severity 16 -- 'TEXT and IMAGE datatypes may not be used in a WHERE clause, except with the LIKE expression.
    '.
    H. 2004/04/22 17:42:09. THREAD FATAL ERROR #5049 DSI EXEC(104(1) SYBG2R_BATCH.g2r) - dsiqmint.c(2781)
    The DSI thread for database 'SYBG2R_BATCH.g2r' is being shutdown. DSI received data server error #306 which is mapped to STOP_REPLICATION. See logged data server errors for more information. The data server error was caused by output command #1 mapped from input command #17215 of the failed transaction.
    I. 2004/04/22 17:42:09. The DSI thread for database 'SYBG2R_BATCH.g2r' is shutdown.

Lightbulb

configure your replication definition using the "replicate minimal columns" option

in fact, in a warm standby replication, i can avoid replication definitions if i use the "sp_setreptable mytable,true" command. so my table will be replicated. but i don't understand why i have this error message.

Hi HMO,

What fadace was implying is that, if you dont have a replication definition, RepServer will carry over all the columns in the where clause, which is why you are facing this problem.

When you define the rep def with minimal columns, RepDef will carry over only the columns specified as primary key in the Replication Definition.

In order to use the minimal columns, you dont necessarily need to have a Primary Key defined in the table, but you need to define a logical key in the Rep Def. Remember, only those keys (defined in the RepDef) will be transferred over in the where clause. So, if they are not unique, then there are chances that RepServer will update multiple rows.

Thumbs up

HI trvishi,

Thank you for your help, it's very clear

Best regards