Unanswered: Mounting Point (I'm lost)

Hello, my company recently purchased a software that stores data to an oracle database. The 2 copies of the software are loaded on two different networked computers. I was told that I can have both computers store to the same computer's oracle database by changing the mounting point. I have no idea how to do this but was told I had to (I am a SQL DBA). Can someone please give me the steps to do this so both computers are storing in the same place?

Thank you,
    Katie Forster

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    Nothing is impossible for the person who doesn't have to do it!

While technically speaking it can be done, you really don't want to go there (RAC)! The only way to get more than one computer system to access the same set of Oracle datafiles is to build a CLUSTER; which is non-trival by a couple orders of magnitude.

The problem is coordinating changes to the DB between the two systems.
    The basic problem is if two folks on the two systems wants to change the same record to have different values is who wins. Who/what decides which value(s) end up in the database file?

Tell Damagement that it can't be done.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

do I understand correctly?

the application software has been installed on two node and both nodes should use one oracle database instance SID in the backend?

then configure the client's tnsnames.ora file to use the same SID.

or are you going to implement RAC Real Application Cluster to use two Oracle Instances from two nodes to share everything (all the Oracle files )??? and run the application software from far more clients than the two mentioned?

RAC is implemented for HA and TAF and requires much more semantic sugar than to be posted here

if you are going for linux then http://www.puschitz.com/OracleOnLinux.shtml might help ...

I know of no capability of sharing mountpoints in that way you asked ..

I'll be quite honest in that I really don't know what I am talking about here. The goal is to have the one computer write to the oracle database on the second computer rather than using its own.

I am not familiar with changing the tnsnames.ora SID, but if it sounds like it will work I am very good at following directions :-).

Katie

There is no chance of the same record being written to at both machines.

Katie

edit the $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora on one node to point to the ONE Oracle Instance you want to run...
    and configure the jdbc or odbc connection parameters accordingly...

but, if both nodes had already their instance used and are in production then the migration/merge of the existing data into one instance might be a nightmare depending on the size of the datamodel, the volume already put in and to filter dups or even non-dups which might be address the same customer ,i.e. ....

Lets work this out. I think you are saying you have a third party application that you want to run on two computers. Both of these clients need to access the same database. (Apparently the normal install is to have one client per database.) So you want to disable the database on one client and have it utilize the database on the second client. Is this correct. The concept of running two database instances on a single set of database files is now called Real Application Cluseter (RAC) (formally Oracle Parallel Server OPS) and is an add on product (cost) to Oracle above the standard
    enterprise editions (though I do not know how they are handling the licensing for this in 10G) If this is the case you are paying a lot of money for seporate database instances for just one client each.

If it is the first case you will need to go to the application provider to get the settings to configure the client machines. If it is a RAC then go to the Oracle documentation for OPS/RAC. They are fun to install and even more fun to manage and tunning is almost as fun at going to the proctologist.

it might help if you could gather some more information and describe what you are trying to do a little more precisely. Otherwise your thread will get filled up with speculative answers and do nothing but confuse things

my 2 cents
    drew
    ------------------
    http://wjtechnologies.com