Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4

    Unanswered: Access 2000: Unidentified function 'Left' in expression

    When using the Left function in Access 2000, I receive an error Unidentified function 'Left' in expression. I have performed a complete reinstall of Access 2000. I have searched the Microsoft knowledgebase and other websites and have found no articles regarding this error. Anyone have ideas on how to correct this? Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kingsland, Georgia
    Posts
    231
    Just a shot...try Left$(string, length). other than that, i don't know. sorry.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    33
    If you are using the Left function in a query, you are going to generate an error with Access 2000 and above.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ger
    Posts
    1,969
    Provided Answers: 1
    Check your preferences list and uncheck the item ("undefined errors") or something like that, actually I don't remember that Item's name.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    One Flump in One Place
    Posts
    14,912
    Hi

    I sometimes get this with the Mid function due to a colleague with a different operating system making a change in the database. Check your references in the VBE - if any of them are marked as "MISSING" (if it is the Left function then probably the ACCESS or OFFICE (can't remember which) references). Uncheck the relevent one, save, close down. Open up and re check the reference. Works for me anyway.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ger
    Posts
    1,969
    Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    Hi

    I sometimes get this with the Mid function due to a colleague with a different operating system making a change in the database. Check your references in the VBE - if any of them are marked as "MISSING" (if it is the Left function then probably the ACCESS or OFFICE (can't remember which) references). Uncheck the relevent one, save, close down. Open up and re check the reference. Works for me anyway.
    MISSING ..... exactly that waht I ment in my post. When you uncheck it your code would function

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4
    I checked the references in VBE and didn't find any listed as "MISSING". Several references were checked though.
    I am unfamiliar with VBE and the whole references thing so forgive me if I'm not getting your point. Any other thoughts?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ger
    Posts
    1,969
    Provided Answers: 1
    If you want you can send a copy of your mdb file in ACCE$$97 format

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by hammbakka
    If you want you can send a copy of your mdb file in ACCE$$97 format
    Thanks for the offer!
    I would send a copy, but I can't. The database houses private credit card information.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Préverenges, Switzerland
    Posts
    3,740
    post the code near this misbehaving Left() so we can try to guess what's going on (or if it's a stored query, copy/paste the SQL view here)

    izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Caldes de Malavella, Spain
    Posts
    244
    Your error is 99.999% certain to be a Reference problem. Even though references are ticked, they can still be broken. Re-establish each ticked one in turn. And try moving the DAO 3.6 reference up the list so that it comes before the ADO Library reference. It could also be that you've got a DAO/ADO conflict.
    Andy Briggs
    Elmhurst Solutions Limited
    Database Development and Consultancy
    http://www.elmhurstsolutions.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4
    Problem resolved! I opened the database using Access 2002 and opened the design view of the query. Access gave a macro error and asked if I wished to continue to open the design view. I selected Yes to open the design view. I closed the design view and ran the query. The query ran without issues. From the machine having the issue, I ran the query using Access 2000, again, it ran without issues. I am sure this was a reference issue as others have stated. However, I am not certain if Access 2002 "automatically" fixed these issues. I assume it did, since the query now works.

    Thanks to all for the quick responses and help with this issue!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •