Thread: VBscript Sleep

Unanswered: VBscript Sleep

im writing a DTS package and i have am using vbscript to check if a file exists on an ftp server.

I can't figure out how to make my process sleep b/t checks on if the file exists.

in vb u can just

Declare Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32.dll" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long)

but i cant seem to find a counterpart in vbscript.

thanks in advance,
    pete

Provided Answers: 54
    In DTS it is poor programming technique to sleep a thread, due to the threading model that DTS uses. You are much better off to design your package so that it completes one full "cradle to grave" cycle when it executes, then schedule the whole package to execute as often as needed.

If you want to check for events less than a minute apart, then this requires some creativity, but that is a small price to pay for the simplicity that this programming model buys the developer.

-PatP

Have to agree with Pat here....but.....if you really want to....

There are ways of doing it.... basically you'd set up a loop to check the time and see if the time has progressed

Code:
    sub sleep(seconds)
      dim start, end
      start = now()
      end = dateadd(s,start, seconds)
      do while now() < end
      loop
    end sub
    Not sure if the dateadd syntax is correct but the theory should be sound. note that this is not really sleeping.... it is not giving up the processor time at all....

Personally would say follow Pat's advise.

Yeouch! For a single user (MSDE) system, Rokslide's code might be Ok (it would certainly keep the machine busy until the appointed time). For a server, I wouldn't recommend it!

-PatP

Unhappy server

yah thats why i really needed a sleep. b/c i am running this on a server. i could just loop and chew up the processor but it would basically kill the server while it looped.

pat, how would u design a package that would do check for a file... and then if its not there check again later??? the only way i could think of is to sleep.

thanks,
    pete

Question calling a batch file

is there a way i can call an externel batch file or executable that sleeps???

im not familiar w/ the threading model of DTS... does calling the executable from DTS fork a new process but continues on w/ its own processing? OR does it call the new process and wait for it to return b/f executing the rest of its own code.

thanks,
    pete

Thumbs down fork new process

well i tried creating a new process that sleeps and calling it from

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    wshShell.run("XXX")
    set wshShell = nothing

msgbox("done")

it showed that a new process if forked and the DTS still continues so alas, i still have no way of sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by pete2781
    pat, how would u design a package that would do check for a file... and then if its not there check again later??? the only way i could think of is to sleep.
    I'd write the DTS package so that it checked for the file, and terminated gracefully if the file was not present. Then schedule the package so that it runs frequently, for example every five minutes.

-PatP

Thumbs up thanks pat

Pat, thats a great idea... thanks a ton. im gonna go try that now... i didnt kno the scheduler could run at intervals like that... im a fresh outta school newb.