Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    13

    Unanswered: mobsync.exe errors after installing sql server sp3a

    Server : w2k server sp4
    Tablet : w2k sp4
    Sql Server 2000

    A few days ago we upgraded our servers and tablet pc's with sql server sp3a. At the same time we also changed the publisher and it now uses a static filter to reduce the number of records in the tablet database. Since we have done this we have been getting an error message when we try to synchronize via the windows synchronization manager on our tablet pc's. The error message is "mobsync.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program. I looked up the error message and it is a stack overflow. This does not happen every time but about 50% of the time. We can always sync from within enterprise manager and everything works fine every time.

    If any one has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it and thank you in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,578
    Check thru event viewer for further information and see any other applications are affected such as IE.


    What was the previous version of service pack on SQL?
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    13
    Satya I checked the application and system logs and there doesn't seem to be anything in them around the times of the failures. However I did find a DrWatson log and after reviewing it I noticed that the problem was there before we installed sp3a. We upgraded from sp2. I noticed that this problem started happening when I changed the publication to use a static filter. We set up the filter on one table on a few fields in the table and this is applied to foreign keys in other tables. The filter is on a job table and we filter on iProcessedFlag < 2 AND sdtDateIn >= '1/1/2003' AND sdtDateFinished IS NULL AND iJobNumber > 5999. The processedflag and the sdtDateFinished signify whether the job is finished or not. This filter is then applied to other tables in the database based on foreign key job_id. There about 8 foreign key linked tables. If you have any ideas why this filter is causing problems point me in the correct direction. This is the same filter that we use on our PDA publication and it works fine although it goes through a different replication mechanism.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    13
    Just wanted to let everyone know the findings on this problem. I had to contact Microsoft after I discovered that it was not sp3 that was causing the problem but was actually the filter that I started using on the publication. There was nothing wrong with the filter, it was a Microsoft problem dealing with the filter. They send me a hot fix to put on each of the units that was experiencing the problem but only time will tell if the problem is fixed. This problem does not happen when you sync from Enterprise Magager, only when you sync from Windows Synchronization Manager. I guess as a last note, Microsoft has known about this problem for a year now but did not do enough testing of it to get it into sp3. I guess that we will have to wait until sp4 comes out or the next version of Sql Server.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •