Thread: Oracle sizing

Arrow Unanswered: Oracle sizing

Is there any open source tool such as excel where we can size the oracle table and indexes based on the initial number of rows, growth rate, and row byte size.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks and Regards,

Hi aravindvin,
    Yes..this is very relevant issue for all of us to know it. I believe if u can serarch or Metalin (if u hv accesss to it), you will get all the relevant information which u need.

But as u posted that u need some sort of excel sheet. Initially we had made one long back and i am attaching it for u. Hope it might help u.

===> {EXCEL file can not be uploded send me a mail at and i will give u that file} <===

Kamesh Rastogi
    - KR

Virginia, USA

the quick method of calculating storage requirements

Always over estimate. Never try to calculate exactly what you require, as you may later find yourself in a bad spot.

Here's the formula your boss will hate to read ... obviously not scientific enough to be used by a "real" corporation...

1. what do you think is a typical row size.
    2. multiply that number by number of rows you will store.
    so, now you have sub_total = (row_size*(initial_row_count + (new_rows_per_year*years))).
    3. multiply by 3, just because it always comes close to the right answer must faster than using complex formulas. the answer supports table data and indexes, pctfree, block headers, and all that other good stuff.
    4. Add 12 GB for for Oracle overhead of system, temp, rollback, users, tools, etc.
    5. Add 25% cushion.
    6. Double the above if you plan to take full backups to disk. Many people backup to disk first, then let another program backup to tape/compress and delete the disk files when done.
    7. Your pagefile or swap space should be 3 times the size of your RAM, not just your SGA, so the more RAM you add to support larger SGAs the more hard disk space you will also need.
    8. If using RAID, then you need to factor in your spare drives and partity data. the amount depends on the type of RAID and number of hot spares you want.

Author, Oracle Database 10g: From Nuts to Soup