Unanswered: Importing text files to FMP 7.0

Hi,

Is there a work around to import data (text file) as a table into an existing FMP 7.0 database without having to previously create the entire table structure. I have some tables with close to fifty fields and don't want to create them manually. Has anyone found any tricks? Are there scripts that could help with that?

Thanks for any help!

Catherine

Good Idea - i was just working on some GUI scripting efforts in OS X. Seems like we might be able to get something going, sooner or later but for now the commercial efforts (just taking off as plug-ins) are the only game.

Thanks for your comment and let me know if you come up with something!
    Regards
    Catherine

Hi Catherine,
    Aside from Chris' suggestions, there are a few options you might like to explore.

Although you can't import a text data set as a new table in an existing FileMaker 7 fiole, you can start off by importing it as a separate table (in a file on its own. Having done that, you could then use a 3rd-party tool such as FMrobot or FM-Migrator to automatically rebuild the table from the new external file into the existing file.

Here are a couple of relevant links:

http://www.fmpromigrator.com

http://www.nmci.com

I'm sure other options will emerge down the track, as Chris has suggested...
    -------------------
    Ray
    FileMaker Developer
    http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker

Another approach....

FileMaker will not automatically create new fields for a text file, but it will for a an Excel file. if you were to open them all up in Excel and let Excel save them (yes, you could automate the process), then FileMaker would automatically create new databases for each one.

thanks,

Joe

Hi and sorry for the late reply,

It seems to me like FileMaker will not create a new table into an existing database file but will actually create a database file from an Excel spread sheet (field headers inculed). Or am I doing something wrong?

Catherine

Yat another approach....

I am just now getting started on this approach, but early tests are good. Using the ODBC drivers, we can send SQL statements to FileMaker. There a free tool from dot com solutions called FM Worksheet, but I think I may be able to work without it, but basically you can use SQL Create Table or Create Row command to convert you data into a single FMP7 Table.

You will then need to import you script manually and debug them, but I've been finding that I can rewrite in less time and take advantage of new features....

If anyone has any luck with this idea, I'd like to share notes....

Thanks,

Joe
    ----

Joe King
    FileMaker Developer's Network
    joe@fmdevelopersnetwork.com