Unanswered: How do you run a custom query..

that has a criteria in it?

Here is my code:

Dim conndb as Adodb.Connection
    Dim rsApplyPay as Adodb.Recordset

Set rsApplyPay = New Adodb.Recordset

rsApplypay.Open "qryApplyPay", conndb, adOpenKeyset, adLockPessimistic

The Error:
    Invalid SQL statement; expected 'DELETE', 'INSERT', 'PROCEDURE', 'SELECT', or 'UPDATE'.

I have run a custom query before with vba but never with a query that has a criteria in it. What is my problem?

Thank you in advance..

Provided Answers: 1
    what is "qryApplyPay"?

I assume that's an access object?

I also notice that you haven't intialized your connection in that code... what are you hitting through ado?

Anyways, I don't believe you can use access objects as criteria for an external ado recordset. You will most likely have to explicitly define a static sql statement when making the call.

Yes, it is an access object. I have tried hard coding in the query into VBA but not luck with it for some reason. I have done harding coding query before but I have no luck with this one for some reason..arghh. I'm getting rusty..

qryApplyPay:

SELECT mwtrn.[Chart Number], mwtrn.[Case Number], mwcas.[Insurance Carrier #1], DatePart('m',[Date From]) AS MonthFrom, DatePart('m',[Date To]) AS MonthTo, DatePart('yyyy',[Date From]) AS YearFrom, DatePart('yyyy',[Date To]) AS YearTo, mwtrn.Amount, mwtrn.[Date From], mwtrn.[Date To], mwtrn.[Insurance 1 Paid], mwtrn.[Insurance 1 Amount Paid]

FROM mwtrn INNER JOIN mwcas ON mwtrn.[Case Number] = mwcas.[Case Number]

GROUP BY mwtrn.[Chart Number], mwtrn.[Case Number], mwcas.[Insurance Carrier #1], DatePart('m',[Date From]), DatePart('m',[Date To]), DatePart('yyyy',[Date From]), DatePart('yyyy',[Date To]), mwtrn.Amount, mwtrn.[Date From], mwtrn.[Date To], mwtrn.[Insurance 1 Paid], mwtrn.[Insurance 1 Amount Paid]

HAVING (((mwcas.[Insurance Carrier #1]) Like [Forms]![frmApplyPayments]![lstFacilityID]) AND ((DatePart('m',[Date From])) Like [Forms]![frmApplyPayments]![cboMonth]) AND ((DatePart('m',[Date To])) Like [Forms]![frmApplyPayments]![cboMonth]) AND ((DatePart('yyyy',[Date From])) Like [Forms]![frmApplyPayments]![cboYear]) AND ((DatePart('yyyy',[Date To])) Like [Forms]![frmApplyPayments]![cboYear]));