Angry Unanswered: Reblication problems

HELP-

I'm trying to test replication - but it's not replicating.

Ive setup the source and target tables thru Replication Center. I started the Capture and Apply programs - no errors there. When I add records to the target tables, or upate records on the target - nothing is replicating.

The Capture log on shows the following:

2004-04-29-11.41.53.039904 <PruneMain> ASN0111I CAPTURE "ASN". The pruning cycle started at "Thu Apr 29 11:41:53 2004".
    2004-04-29-11.41.53.041351 <PruneMain> ASN0112I CAPTURE "ASN". The pruning cycle ended at "Thu Apr 29 11:41:53 2004".
    2004-04-29-11.46.54.029796 <PruneMain> ASN0111I CAPTURE "ASN". The pruning cycle started at "Thu Apr 29 11:46:54 2004".
    2004-04-29-11.46.54.031248 <PruneMain> ASN0112I CAPTURE "ASN". The pruning cycle ended at "Thu Apr 29 11:46:54 2004".

I need a disaster recovery solution, but I have doubts that DB2 replication is the solution. I need help from you experts out there.

Provided Answers: 5
    These are the steps to setting up Replication.

1) create Capture Control Tables on source (and target if update-anywhere)
    2) create Apply control tables on target
    3) register tables for replication on source
    4) create subscriptions on the target
    5) activate subscriptions
    6) start capture on source (and target if update_anywhere)
    7) start apply on target

HTH

Andy

I did all those steps thru the Replication Center Launchpad. However, I see this in my Capture log:

2004-04-29-12.08.04.795549 <CWorkerMain> ASN0109I CAPTURE "ASN". The Capture program has successfully initialized and is capturing data changes for "0" registrations. "0" registrations are in a stopped state. "10" registrations are in an inactive state.

How do I make my registrations active?

What state are they currently in?
    (It is shown on one of the columns in the "Registered Tables" view of RC.

Andy

I would suggest that you read about Replication and understand the working before having in prod ...

Replication will give problems quiet often, and without understanding, you will be in trouble ...

Your Replication Centre should primarily be used only for ease and not an alternative to in-depth know how ..

If you have not referred what your error means

ASN0109I CAPTURE capture_schema. The Capture program has successfully initialized and is capturing data changes for number registrations. Stopped_number registrations are in a stopped state. Inactive_number registrations are in an inactive state.

Explanation: This message is issued when the Capture program completes the reinitialization of registration entries. The reinitialization can occur during a warm start, during the processing of a CAPSTART signal, or in response to a Capture REINIT command.

User Response: If the Capture program is capturing the changes for all the registrations, no action is required. Otherwise, examine the preceding error messages to determine the cause of the failure, and follow the suggested user responses to repair the failing registration definition. After you have repaired the registration definition, issue the asnccmd command with the reinit parameter.

Personally, I will not recommend using DB2 Replication for DR ..

Here is the article from an IBMer on the topic

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...304wright.html
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Quote Originally Posted by ARWinner
    What state are they currently in?
    (It is shown on one of the columns in the "Registered Tables" view of RC.

Andy
    For all the tables

STATE = I

sathyaram_s - You don't recommend using db2 replication? What do you recomend? I need an off-site replica of our production db. With our Informix db - I use HDR. For our 1 Oracle instance, I use "hot-standby". I'm new to db2 so any advice is more than welcome.

With state = I, all you need to do is tell Capture to start capturing through the CAPSTART signal. This should be done for you by the Apply program. Try restarting Apply to see if this does the trick. If not there is a way to do it manually. It is described on page 219 in the V8 Replication Guide.

Andy

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by tmullins
    For our 1 Oracle instance, I use "hot-standby". I'm new to db2 so any advice is more than welcome.
    I think you can do almost the same thing with DB2: make a backup of your primary database, restore it elsewhere, and keep rolling it forward as logs of the primary database become inactive (you can use userexit to ship logs to the stand-by location). For fail-over, roll the standby database forward to the end of logs and stop, after which you can re-catalog it in place of the primary database.

Quote Originally Posted by n_i
    I think you can do almost the same thing with DB2: make a backup of your primary database, restore it elsewhere, and keep rolling it forward as logs of the primary database become inactive (you can use userexit to ship logs to the stand-by location). For fail-over, roll the standby database forward to the end of logs and stop, after which you can re-catalog it in place of the primary database.

This is exactly what I need and would be great - Is there any documentation on setting this up? Where is this userexit program?

Provided Answers: 1
    You can start by reading Data Recovery and High Availability Guide. A