Unanswered: Sybase server taking long time to boot

Sybase server taking long time to boot,

getting error message like :-

basis_daioconfig: ioctl(ASYNC_CONFIG) failed: Resource temporarily unavailable 00:00000:00000:2004/04/25 16:05:23.94 kernel basis_daioconfig: Asynchronous I/O not available

Sometimes it is hanging after "Network and device connection limit"

What platform?

Looks like HP RISC? HP async is notorious if not properly set. Look for permission problems, physical memory on the box, also for fs_aync flag if you are using file system

check the permission. Its ok. sybase has privilege on async i/o device. Our devices are all on raw partition.DB server will use 1 gb while startup. Free physical memory is only 850 mb , but it is coming up with standard unix io in primary server but while coming up in failover server it is hanging.

Have you tried bringing it up with less memory, say 500 MB, just to see if that solves the problem.

Is there any other trace to be turn on to know exact error causing component ?

Any tracing would have very little impact in diagnozing the problem. Sybase simply makes calls to the OS resource, and for whatever reason that it fails is reported back to the errorlog. I doubt any tracing that would throw anything extra. What you really need is some sort of async driver debugger to trace at the async driver what is happening.