Unanswered: AS 400 as backend Server to Access

This post might have gotten lost in the recent changes to DBForums. I didn't get any response. Does anyone have any experience in the following post I made a few days ago:
    thanks

I have no doubt that this is a dumb question, but can I use an AS 400 as a backend server for MS Access 2002/2003? Not sure of the specs of the AS400, but does anyone have any experience with this subject? I need about the throughput of a dual Xeon 2.8 with 15000 rpm drives and an 800 fsb. 5 heavy users, 5-10 light.
    thanks,
    Winston

Provided Answers: 7
    Yes You can talk to As400 DataBase I did it MSaccess97

I used a OBDC Connection
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

I would use the Native IBM Client Access ODBC driver. Make sure you check
    the CCSID translation when you configure the driver. What software package is being used on the As/400?
    jm
    jm

I didn't really want to use an ODBC connection as that would mean I need a different frontend when I use the DB on a laptop (a read only copy of the system)... I just wanted to use the AS400 as a file server, letting Jet do all the usual work. I read somewhere that the AS400 file management system locked an open file for exclusive use. Although it is probable that the AS400 file management system can be tweaked to allow shared access, I smelled a big can of worms. Any comments?
    thanks,
    Winston

Sorry, don't have any more information at this time... The AS400 is with a potential client. I could ask them to put in a new Intel/W2K3 server, but I would really like to try to use existing hardware. I am assuming that the AS400 is at least as powerful (throughput wise) as a Dual Xeon SCSI box... however, my assumptions are ungrounded at this time.
    Winston