Unanswered: Forms with no data

Good Morning,

How can we inform the user that there is no data in the form.
    In reports we have the "Report_NoData(Cancel As Integer)" event, where we can write the code to display a message box.
    Can something similar be achieved in Forms also, if there is no data for some criteria.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

no data means the recordset (recordsetclone too i guess, though i don't show forms till i know i have data) is .BOF and .EOF and .recordcount=0

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Forms with no data

I also need similar like this. What is happening right now in my case is the form is showing a blank window, if there is no data. Instead I want to display a message box to the user saying there is no data for this. How can we achieve this? can you please give more info.
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by skodidhi
    I also need similar like this. What is happening right now in my case is the form is showing a blank window, if there is no data. Instead I want to display a message box to the user saying there is no data for this. How can we achieve this? can you please give more info.
    Thanks in advance
    Quetion is: WHEN do you want to inform them? Before the form displays or after?

one simple way:

detail section of the form is hidden in design view
    footer section has a label "select an entry Oh foolish user"

...gives you time on _Load() to check if there are records, and if yes, hide the footer and show the detail.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

I would like to display a message box before the form displays.

The database is secured. The form recordsource is based on the Currentuser(). so what I need is to display the messagebox that there is no data, before the form displays.
    Thanks.

Make a query that will produce a null result since there are no records but make the query have a criteria applied to a field that must have an entry when a record is present.

Make a form based on this query and put two overlaying labels such as No Data and Data Available and set then as invisible.

Have a macro open this form and "on open" or "on current" have a macro that sets the visible property of the appropriate label and for a condition have
    [Forms]![MyForm][Field] Is Null
    [Forms]![MyForm][Field] Is Not Null
    The last will work if the field you refer to always has an entry if there is a record.

Then attach a macro to the appropriate label which will either close this form down or if there is data then the label Data Available will have a macro that opens the form with the data and closes down the first form.

PS. I just tried that but it would not work when there were no records.

What could be done is for a dummy record to always be in the table but the query supporting the form can't display it due to criteria. You could then use a "count" for conditions where the count is 1 or greater than 1 etc. That is, when the count is greater than 1 there is at least one true record present

PS it did work with no records. My form was so rough I did not notice it was working I had two tiny labels On and Off and greay back ground and they were right next to each other.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike375; 04-30-04 at 14:23.