Unanswered: maximum records per table?

Hi,
    Just wondering what the maximum no. of records in a table Filemaker 7 can effectively handle (before it starts to struggle).
    I understand Access can't really go past 50,000 or so?

Does anyone know any good websites that has good comparisons between these 'smaller' database packages? With details like max. records etc.

thanks in advance,
    T Moakes.

Hi,
    FileMaker 7 does not have a limit on the number of records except insofar as the size of an individual file may not exceed 8 Terabytes.

From personal experience I can vouch for files with well in excess of a million records per table. However the usability of a large solution will depend on the schema and interface design. For instance, unstored calculations or summarising fields will be unbearably slow across massive data sets and are not appropriate for tables with very high record counts. The same is true of procedures which pass values through all records - they will be slow if there are a million records - and that is no less true of FileMaker 7 than any other system.

Beyond that, the benefits of optimization (eg controlled application of indexing and efficient code and schema design) will be more noticeable when the data set is large.

Haven't seen any sites offering comparisons with commpeting products as yet, but FileMaker 7 is still very new, so give it time...
    -------------------
    Ray
    FileMaker Developer
    http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker

Go with FileMaker....

Ray generally gives good advise, and I aggree with everything that he said. I have two clients that were pushing to old 2GB limit in FMP 6 and speed was not an issue because it was a well structured database; however, I took over another project in FileMaker 5.5 where it was taking FileMaker all night to generate a report. After moving some 'pieces' around, the report was created in less than two minutes, further tweaks from someone else got it down to less than a minute.

FileMaker gives a wonderful amount of flexibility. There are things I can do in FileMaker,that most database environments would not allow. Sometimes this flexibility allows use to pull rabits out of the hat, but if you are not very careful, poor structure can costs speed...

In the FileMaker Pro 7 pre-release technical breifing I played with a solution with 56 million records and it felt fast, but FileMaker and any experianced developer will be careful when promising speed....

Thanks,

Joe

Question

Quote Originally Posted by joeking
    FileMaker gives a wonderful amount of flexibility. There are things I can do in FileMaker,that most database environments would not allow. Sometimes this flexibility allows use to pull rabits out of the hat, but if you are not very careful, poor structure can costs speed...
    Hi, I am not a FileMaker user, nor planning to use it, but generally curious though: Could you please give a couple or three examples of that flexibility which is impossible/cumbersome to have in competitive databases such as Access?

Thanks,
    Daniel

Smile

Hi Daniel,
    The Joeker has not risen to your bait, which is probably a good thing. Flame wars between the devotees of alternate applications are rarely a good use of bandwidth.

However the absence of a response does not mean that fundamental differences between applications and their capabilities do not exist. If you are really interested to explore the differences, I'd urge you to do just that - explore.

In the meantime, you want an example of flexibility that is harder to achieve using Access: try creating a cross-platform application with it.
    -------------------
    Ray
    FileMaker Developer
    http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker