Unanswered: Database Splitter utility

Hello,

I need to make my ms access 2003 database accessible for multiple users and store the database (and its data) on a server.
    To accomplish that I have heard about the Database Splitter utility of ms access.
    Now I have some questions:
    - When do I have to split the database. Before or after creating the forms?
    - What else is needed to split the database?

THanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Proximus

the split is precisely to separate tables from forms.

...the splitter does a reasonable job but you might have to tidy up manually afterwards if you have a mixture of shared tables and other tables you want to keep with the individual clients (e.g. preferences, paths etc)

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

so i can do the split after i have created all the forms?

yes, that's exactly why the splitter is there.

...but you seem to be saying that you have not yet started the forms... so why not start off with separate font/back ends

izy

indeed. I didn't start creating the forms yet.
    I am not familiar with splitting the database into frontend and backend.
    Couls you kindly provide me some instructions how to accomplish that?
    Thanks in advance
    Regards,
    Proximus

Question for verification:
    is it possibel after splitting the database into frontend and backend that the backend resides on a server and multipe users can access this single point of storage? (in my case about 5 users from different workstations)

the .mdb where you have your tables is the "back-end". put it on a file server somewhere.

make a new front-end .mdb and menu:
    File¦Get External Data¦Link
    navigate to your "back-end" .MDB and Tables and Select All and OK.

make all your forms and stuff in the front-end, keep shared data in the back-end. if you need preferences or paths that are client-specific, they are probably best in front-end tables.

depending on your network speed/congestion and the size of the back-end .mdb and your user's expectations, you now have a multiuser database (each user needs a copy of the front-end).

i have one application working like this with 3 concurrent users, fast uncongested LAN, lightly used file-server, and 15,000 records in a 4MB back-end .MDB ...performance is reasonable, though reports with a lot of cascaded queries take too long for my taste.

the downside with the file-server approach is that all the "intelligence" is on the client PC: almost anything you do at the front-end requires the client to grab the whole file from the server.

more users, congested LAN, big-backend: all will push you into an SQL server as backend sooner or later.

izy

thanks for the fast and skilled answer.
    if I got you right, i have to create 2 databases (.mdb files) and just link them between each other?

yes: many copies of the front-end .mdb (actually, you will compile it to a .MDE when it's done) linking to a single shared back-end .mdb (no point in compiling the back-end since it cannot execute code)

try an experiment: the back-end can quite happily sit on your own PC (though be warned - the actual performance you will get on a file-server will be much worse that you get with the back-end on the local PC

izy

yet another question:

is it possibe to use a ms access db as frontend and link it to a IBM DB2 database in the backend?
    I know it is possible to link the frontend with an sql server as backend.
    Does anyone have experience with that?
    THanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Proximus

possible: yes

i wouldn't know db2 if it bit me on the bum, but this at least shows that there are folk out there using A->DB2

izy