Unanswered: HOW do i simulate a "network path" for my backend.don't have the network avail

am doing a front end and back end. The design is on my single computer not connected to the final user network.
    How can i simulate a path to the real network location to place my "backend" so that i can link the front end on my computer to a simulated "server location" for the backend.
    i need to mail the installation from my place in san diego to whitefish montana and tell them how to install the run time stuff. access 2000 with xp.
    i will make the run time version after i can "simulate the server path" for my backend.
    thanks
    joe archer

How are you connectiing to this backend? Linking tables? ADO? DAO? Basically you should be able to just split the DB into the frontend and backend on your pc and do whatever as if it were on a network ... (except for anything timing related)
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

I usually create a utility in my FE that allows the user to browse out to the BE and links all the tables to the FE. This way they can put the BE anywhere they want and I don't care.

S-

Red face WHAT KIND OF "UTILITY" SHOULD I USE ???

WHAT DO i do to let the user set the linking to the back end on the network.
    if i can them do it, then i can complete my design with the testing being done on myoun hard drive with the back end linked by access.

thanks

joe archer sr

Provided Answers: 8
    Quote Originally Posted by joe archer sr
    am doing a front end and back end. The design is on my single computer not connected to the final user network.
    How can i simulate a path to the real network location to place my "backend" so that i can link the front end on my computer to a simulated "server location" for the backend.
    i need to mail the installation from my place in san diego to whitefish montana and tell them how to install the run time stuff. access 2000 with xp.
    i will make the run time version after i can "simulate the server path" for my backend.
    thanks
    joe archer
    WHEN linking the Frount End To The BackEnd

use \\servername\databasefolder$\databasename.mdb
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

Do you have a router? If you have a high speed internet connection, then you should for general purpose security reasons.

The reason I ask is that the router IS a "network" as far as windows is concerned. If you want something simple, find out where your client wants to place the back end. Create a folder on your hard drive and then "Map" that folder to a network drive. Windows will happily map a "network drive" to a folder on the hard drive - providing you're on a "network". You can then link to tables through the mapped drive, and when you transplant to your client's network, it will work just fine.

You can, however, reassign the path of a linked table through code. Using a For Each loop, you can go through each table in tabledefs and reassign the path of a each linked table.
    Code:
        Dim tblDefs As TableDefs
        Dim tbldef As TableDef
        Dim sT1 As String
        Dim sT2 As String

Set tblDefs = CurrentDb.TableDefs
        For Each tbldef In tblDefs
            If tbldef.Connect = sT1 Then
                tbldef.Connect = sT2
                tbldef.RefreshLink
            End If
            Next
        Next
        tblDefs.Refresh
    sT1 is a string containing the full path of the current link
    sT2 is a string containing the full path of the desired link

Have fun.

Smile Problem solved by relinking utilty by "access web"

After reading the recommendations from "tcace" and "sbaxter", it looked like the way to go was to have the utility to relink to any location.

I went to the access web at location http://www.mvps.org/access/ and found the utility Code Courtesy of Dev Ashish, "Relink Access tables from code". There is a complete set of code that works great.
    the first function is Function fRefreshLinks(). You need to use an additional set of code called "Call the standard Windows File Open/Save dialog box".

Put both sets of code in a module and it works well.
    Now, i can do what i needed to do.

thanks to all for your help

joe archer sr