Smile Unanswered: running out of space in a temp tablespace

data warehouse on DB2 7.1 on a sun solaries 8

According to the datawarehouse people, they load data through the ETL process. It is extracted from flat files loaded into temp tables and then to the main database. And they are running out of space when they are building cubes and the process does not finish. So can I create a dms temp tablespace and it will continue to write to the new one or do I need to modify something else to tell it to write to it.
    Last edited by mons; 05-03-04 at 20:13. Reason: additional info

There are some confusing things about your post:

1. Exactly how are you loading the data? Load? Import? Program?

2. You mentioned "user temp tablespace". Do you mean System Temporary Tablespace or a user temporary table created by an application?

3. To the best of my knowledge, log files are not written to the system temporary tablespace.

4. Are you asking if a new system temporary tablespace will be used in the middle of a load job, or once you restart the job?
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

add disk space to tempspace tablespace container mount point

SET TABLESPACE CONTAINERS FOR 1

find container location

add more disk space

this may resolve your issue

Lekharaju Ennam

Quote Originally Posted by mons
    data warehouse on DB2 7.1 on a sun solaries 8

So can I create a dms temp tablespace and it will continue to write to the new one or do I need to modify something else to tell it to write to it.
    What version/platform?

If you're just trying to increase the size, you might want to consider either (1) Add a container, or (2) Re-size the existing container(s)... it's unlikely a second tablespace is your best option.

(BTW - if you do chose to create a second tablespace in DB2/unix/win/lin then it will just round-robin between it and the existing temporary tablespace... I can't think of any situation where that would be desirable off-hand)
    --
    Jonathan Petruk
    DB2 Database Consultant