Unanswered: Does MATCH only work >4 Characters

When using MATCH in a SQL "Select....... we have found it ignores words of 3 letters or less, is this normal and can it be overcome?

Anthony

fascinating

that's exactly what the manual says, too
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

I take that as a no then.......

What section as we couldn't find it listed?

Anthony
    SD2001

Look at section 13.6.4. That's at least the section in the 5.0.0-alpha manual.

Most full-text variables described in the following items must be set at server startup time. For these variables, a server restart is required to change them and you cannot modify them dynamically while the server is running. If you modify full-text variables that affect indexing (ft_min_word_len, ft_max_word_len, or ft_stopword_file), you must rebuild your FULLTEXT indexes after making the changes and restarting the server. To rebuild the indexes in this case, it’s sufficent to do a QUICK repair operation: /.../
    And, here is what the manual says about the magic number 4:

The minimum and maximum length of words to be indexed is defined by the ft_min_ word_len and ft_max_word_len system variables (available as of MySQL 4.0.0). See Section 5.2.3 [Server system variables], page 238. The default minimum value is four /.../

"Any word that is too short is ignored. The default minimum length of words that will be found by full-text searches is four characters. "
    -- http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Fulltext_Search.html
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL