Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Prevent an Access database from changing views when multiple users refresh their view

I have an Access database that I built that works like this. On top of the form, there is a drop down box that has values of personnel working in a department. When they click on their name, the subform below shows them records that are assigned to them so they can work. When they change a value of a drop down box within the subform, everyone else who is using the same split database has their forms changed to that person's view. This is obviously causing some frustration and losing track to where they are.

Is there some secret setting I'm missing that will prevent this? I need for each user to change the drop down boxes in their subforms and it not affect other users' views.

I know you said that it is a split database,
    Does this mean each user has a "front-end" but they shared a common "back-end" ?

If not that may be the problem....

Quote Originally Posted by coxman
    I have an Access database that I built that works like this. On top of the form, there is a drop down box that has values of personnel working in a department. When they click on their name, the subform below shows them records that are assigned to them so they can work. When they change a value of a drop down box within the subform, everyone else who is using the same split database has their forms changed to that person's view. This is obviously causing some frustration and losing track to where they are.

Is there some secret setting I'm missing that will prevent this? I need for each user to change the drop down boxes in their subforms and it not affect other users' views.
    First off, how are you querying for this data? Is your subform based off of a query or a table? If a table, is it on the BE and does the FE form run off of it?
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Hi

Also, is the change of views created by a filter or does it do some sort of rebuilding of the record source? What I mean is, I had a database front end that built it's table links based on user input. All users had their own local version of the front end (no problem), apart from on a terminal server where they shared a single file. The latter had problems as the actual objects were supposed to change rather than just their properties.

Quote Originally Posted by adrkoehler
    I know you said that it is a split database,
    Does this mean each user has a "front-end" but they shared a common "back-end" ?

If not that may be the problem....
    adrkoehler, Yes. Each user has a front end d'base and they share a back end d'base.

M Owen, the subform they are using is from a query located on their front end d'base. The query is designed to show only pending records to work. When they choose "Completed" on one of the fields in the subform, the form is designed to make that record go into the main table and no longer appear in the subform.

pootle flump, maybe this will answer your question. The subform and the drop down list on the main form are both connected by the personnel name. This way, each user can assign a record to another team member.

adrkoehler, Yes. Each user has a front end d'base and they share a back end d'base.

M Owen, the subform they are using is from a query located on their front end d'base. The query is designed to show only pending records to work. When they choose "Completed" on one of the fields in the subform, the form is designed to make that record go into the main table and no longer appear in the subform.

pootle flump, maybe this will answer your question. The subform and the drop down list on the main form are both connected by the personnel name. This way, each user can assign a record to another team member.
    That's fine ... Is the query on a SHARED BE table? The "main" table? Versus say a tempory table loaded only with a user's records ....

What this sounds like is trying to shoehorn multiple users into a single user designed system ... This can happen when there is a table used that gets repopulated as each new user comes on and wipes out the old records and put their stuff in screwing up the previous users who all of a sudden see stuff that is not theirs ....

Yes. The query is tied to the main table that everyone is sharing. From your comments, that is exactly what is happening. For example, if I go in and change a record that is assigned to me, then your screen will show up with my name and you will probably lose track from where you are. It sounds like you understand what's going on.

What would you say is your recommendation?

Yes. The query is tied to the main table that everyone is sharing. From your comments, that is exactly what is happening. For example, if I go in and change a record that is assigned to me, then your screen will show up with my name and you will probably lose track from where you are. It sounds like you understand what's going on.

What would you say is your recommendation?
    Where does this query reside at? On the BE or the FE? It sounds as if it's on the BE ... Does this query take parameters? BTW, how is this DB split?

A course of action depends on how this thing is constructed and operates ... This could be an easy fix depending on how you respond.

The query resides on the FE. The DB is split amongst all of the tables. All of the original tables are on the BE. All of the DB objects are on the FE.

Does this answer your question?

The query resides on the FE. The DB is split amongst all of the tables. All of the original tables are on the BE. All of the DB objects are on the FE.

Does this answer your question?
    Yep. Now, are all the users hitting just 1 FE DB on the network or is the FE distributed to each client pc? I think I know the answer ... On network right?

Each FE is on each client PC.

Does anyone else have suggestions?

Something is not adding up right here ... THe FE is distributed so there is no sharing of the FE. The queries are on the FE and the BE is linked ... This cannot happen. Something is wrong here ... Verify your setup again ... Since the FE is distributed, none of the users can see any other user's view. They have separate and distinct instances running. They can't be tromping on each other unless the query is running on the BE dumping into a common table that all users hook to.

I have never worked with a split database before, but I think I may have a suggestion that will help spur this conversation a bit more and possibly reveal an answer to someone about this.

How many tables are there? 2 or 1? I hear you talking about a main table as if it is different from the table where it has everyones current jobs.

If the main table also contains the current jobs but it just isnt shown unless it isnt completed then I would say that when a user updates one of their jobs, everyones screens show that because you have it setup to do that. You didnt mean for it to do it for all the different users though. I bet that query pulls the data everytime there is something new right? (a refresh rate or afterupdate maybe?)

I hope I have spurred some more thought on this matter,
    JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

Maybe this will help out. JSThePatriot, you are correct. The subform each user works from only shows records that do not have "Completed" as the status. Once it is changed to "Completed, the query that the subform is tied to is supposed to release it out of the subform and archive into the master table.

My local IT contact suggested I put the Personnel table on the FE. I tried that and tested it against someone else's PC. I gave them a copy of that FE and I used mine. When I change my view to my name, their screen shows my name. And vice versa.

I hope this helps.