Unanswered: ntdbsmgr.exe "floods" memory

We use a pervasive database (Version 8.10) on a WIN 2003 Server and we recently had the problem that the pervasive process ntdbsmgr.exe floods our memory. Due to this, applications which are working based on this database have no more access to it . After a restart of the database everything seems to work well again.

Any idea what the reason for this could be? Clien Caching is turned off and we assigned 800 MB of the 1 GB memory to the pervasives in the control center. The MicroKernel Memory Usage is at 60%.

greets and thanks

Provided Answers: 4
    I haven't seen anything like this. Have you contacted Pervasive? When you saw the memory flooded, what was Pervasive doing (Btrieve or ODBC)?
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

our software house hat contacted pervasive, we are waiting for the answer.
    Pervasive most works with btrieve, a bit with ODBC, but also without ODBC the memory is flooded

Dba 2010

I'm a intern at a small company and they are having some issues with their networking and the problem is with DBA Classic. I hear it's out of date(haha). They are running DBA Classic on a 2008 Intel Server(Windows) with 4GB(DDR3) of memory and a 2.56 GHz processor.

At idle usage it is using about 90% of it's memory. The file that is using the most memory is a file called ntdbsmgr.exe.

If anyone could help me out in terms of what would solve the issue. Would it be a cache adjustment or should they add another memory stick of 4GB to deal with the issue or will the memory drainage just continue no matter how much memory you put into it?

Thanks for the info.

Benjamin

Provided Answers: 4
    Benjamin,
    Next time you really should start a new thread.
    NTDBSMGR.EXE is the main process of Btrieve/Pervasive PSQL.
    As far as your issue, it could be a cache issue. When PSQL starts up, it allocates memory based on your PSQL settings including cache allocation. What settings are best for you depend on the version of PSQL you are using, the hardware it's running on, and what the application vendor recommends.
    Adding memory won't help because the OS typically can't access it and neither can Btrieve / PSQL.
    Just because it's using 90% of the memory doesn't mean there's a problem. What behavior is the user seeing?
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.