Question Unanswered: Access Certification? Suggestions?

I've built a few relational databases for my company and they are willing to back me up in getting some kind of certification/training in this area in order to try and sell some data management tools.

What kinda of certification should I be looking at? Here's some stuff about my Access skills.

1) All built in ACCESS 2000/97
    2) All the databases I've done so far run off of ONE computer of over a network with a general password.
    3) Am comfortable with VBA and DAO.
    4) No API programming - copy and paste technique
    5) I don't know SQL very well.

I would say I have a good grasp of table design and normalization.

Since my company is willing, I would like to take this oppurtunity but don't know what would suit me best?

I have searched and searched and the best I can come up with so far in terms of certification is this from Learning Tree. The only problem is that it is pricey and takes 4 weeks out of my working time. Most of the training that other employees go to are only 2-4 days.

If you want to see my skills in helping others go to http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/ to see some of my posted questions and answers and sample databases.

Lightbulb

If you want formal certification then go for MSDN SQL Server 2000, this will help with database design and administration and forms part of the MSDN qualification. Many principals apply to Access SQL as well as SQL Server and it's a lot more useful then learning purely Access.

Otherwise, most good SQL books contain a good grounding on relational databases, normalisation, SQL and indexes/optimisation.

I've just read Programming MS Office Access 2003 which is good in places and will help but you'll need a good SQL book to improve your database design.

Thank you for your input!

Sean,

Thank you for your reply. I will look into that.

If I did manage to pass the following exam
    Exam 70229: Designing and Implementing Databases with Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition (is this what you are refering to?).

Would that in and of itself be useful on a resume or would I have to run the full course and get an MCDBA certification?

Question Good alternative to training or certification

I think this might be a good alternative to the Learning Tree certification. Or at least cheaper (make the boss happier and more willilng to pay for it).

Access-VB-SQL Advisor Live from the magazine Access-VB-SQL Advisor.

Topics range from Access to .NET, see here.

Anyone here going? Been to a past event?

Here is a response I got from Advisor Media, Inc regarding an email I sent asking if they thought that this would be an appropriate event for me to attend. Same kinda info you get from the website.
    Thank you for your interest in Access-VB-SQL Advisor Live. I think you would find this conference to meet your needs. We have many beginner and intermediate sessions on Access and .NET topics. I think the biggest benefit you'll receive from attending is the time you can spend with our expert speakers. We have several speakers with lots of SQL Server experience so they can give you some good tips on how to prepare for Microsoft's exam. You will also find the session, "SQL Server Basics for Access, VB, and .NET developers to be very helpful. The Microsoft Access team will be at the event so you'll be able to ask them any questions you like.

Okay it doesnt look like many people have tried to answer your question. So I would have to say you may have to go with what you think is best.

I will tell you like my uncle has told me.

In the computer industry there are ups, and downs. In the down times there are so many people looking for IT jobs, that companies do not have to pay the normal prices because of the competition. Those are the times that some kind of certification or college degree would be helpful. Then there are the up times when there arent enough of us IT Professionals and it doesnt matter if you have any certifications/degrees, they just want the job done. Its a constant circle. Right now we are in a down time, so if you get a certification/degree it will help slightly in the up time coming, but when the down time comes again it will be invaluable.

So I would definitely recommend that you take this opportunity.

I hope this helps you in some way,
    JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs