Unanswered: Unckg Show box wont help

I have a database set up that is for testing circuits.
    so line 1 or record 1 consists of the results of 1 test. These circuits may be on (blank) or off (Off).
    SO... record 1 looks like this:

………………….Circuit 1…Circuit 2… Circuit 3 …Circuit 4
    Record 1 ………..Missing………………..Off
    Record 2 ………..Off………..Off…………….……… Off
    Record 3 ……………………………………………….Missing

My Query mirrors the table.
    I want a report that will only tell me the fields that are populated. I don’t want to have any of the labels or the blank spaces on my report.

Ie….

Record 1
    Circuit1 MISSING Circuit 3 OFF

Record 2
    Circuit1 OFF Circuit2 OFF Circuit 4 OFF

You see how just unchecking the show box on the query will not work for me.
    Last edited by tkacoo; 05-06-04 at 10:01.

unchk check box won't work

Hi tkacoo,

I have a database with a query and reports like yours. What I have are CheckBoxes for things like WARRANTY, CLOSED and so on. Based on what I have set on my report I would suggest this for yours:
    CkBx-Missing CkBx-Off
    Place your CheckBoxes in the Report and Hide Them..(Properties/Format/Visible=No)
    Place a TextBox on the Report wherever you like and set it's ControlSource to this below:
    Code:
    =IIF([Missing]=True,"MISSING","OFF")
    This will show Missing OR Off, and will cover

Code:
    =IIF([Missing]=True,'MISSING","")
    This code will show Missing OR nothing at all. This you would set for each CheckBox if you have one two for each line item. Any more than that you will just need to do a full all out IF..THEN..ELSE statement.

Pick and choose, try them out and see what you get. Hope this helps you out.
    Bud

tkacoo,

Checking to see if you tried it and your results.

Bud

In the query builder you can use immidiate if statements or (iif) as a way to create custom data

if your in the design view all you have to do is use this synthax on a fresh column

nameOfExpression: iif([fieldName] = value, true, false)

iif statements are basicaly boolian (i cant remeber how to spell that) meaning that they only return true or false. You can name true or false anything you like... whatever you put in will display as the field value.

nameOfExpression can be anything you want the field name to appear as.

= sign can be any operator <, >, =<, Like, between you get the idea.

you dont need to put a semicolon at the end of the statement.

if you are building an SQL string the synthax is slightly different and should appear before the FROM part of the statement:

iif([fieldName] = value, true, false) AS nameOfExpression

Note that SQL treats this as a field so dont forget to use commas where nessesary (before and after depending on the situation).

You can add as many of these fields as you want and reports will treat them as valid fields so you dont need to code anything.