Question Unanswered: Max Extent Please Help

If I create a tablespace of size 500M and define the minimum extent as 1, maxextent as 505 or Unlimited then is there any relationship between 500M and the 505 extents?
    I mean if the number of extents is defined as UNLIMITED then will it try to go beyond 500M or will be limited within the 500M?

Thanks in advance!

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    500M will be the size of each extent which could exist in unlimited numbers.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

I mean if the number of extents is defined as UNLIMITED then will it try to go beyond 500M or will be limited within the 500M?
    Oracle will try to create a new extent beyond the 500Mb limit since the extents are UNLIMITED, but will fail and give you an error message. The datafile (not tablespace) limits are strictly enforced. Otherwise the UNLIMITED datafile setup could eat up all you disk and the db/OS will crash.

HTH,

clio_usa - OCP 8/8i/9i DBA

When you build a tablespace the setting are the 'default' for the tables if the storage is not defined at table create time. So if you create a tablespace at 500M and maxextents 1 then create a table and set max extents to be unlimited that table will have unlimited extents based on the size of your extents (for data dictionary tablespace these settings can be overridden at create time for Locally managed extents extent size is set at create time) If you create a table with max extents set to 10 in a LME with uniform extent size of 1M then the max that table can reach is 10M. If you then change it to unlimited the table can now grow to 500M. Then if the table tries to grow again there is another setting you need to check for the datafile. If the datafile is set to auto extent then it will increase its size to allow the table to grow. If auto extent is off then the table will not be able to extent until you get the tablespace more room.