Unanswered: Report Formating

I have built a report (Letter) that shows data from a form that is built on a query. The problem I am having is this, the data that is queried is in different lengths, i.e. characters. Some names are normal and some are very long. Right now I am using a label for the letters content and a text box with a function like this in it.

[Forms]![frmOdometer]![txtType]

Is there a better way to set up a report that going to be a letter?
    How can I adjust the incoming data to fit within certain boundaries on the report?

Thanks!

I am not exactly sure of where you are coming from, but have you thought of using MS Word to create the Letter, and then using a mail-merge to get the appropriate data on it? You can use access to create the mail-merge if I am not mistaken. Or you could use the Mail-Merge wizard in MS Word. It really is quite a simple wizard.

Hope this helps,
    JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

I actually have done this with the same letter. The reason why I am trying to use a report is b/c the user presses the "merge to word button" it take between 5 to 20 seconds to show the data in word. The user "writes" about 50 letters a day and that time adds up. I also thought of this. Could I just change the merge document to a .rtf instead of .doc. Would that make the merge any faster?

I certainly understand that it takes to much time. I dont know that an RTF would do any better or not. You could certainly try it.

:-/ I wish I could help more.

JS

Quote Originally Posted by tjarvas
    I actually have done this with the same letter. The reason why I am trying to use a report is b/c the user presses the "merge to word button" it take between 5 to 20 seconds to show the data in word. The user "writes" about 50 letters a day and that time adds up. I also thought of this. Could I just change the merge document to a .rtf instead of .doc. Would that make the merge any faster?
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

Quote Originally Posted by tjarvas
    Is there a better way to set up a report that going to be a letter?
    How can I adjust the incoming data to fit within certain boundaries on the report?
    Thanks!
    tjarvas,

Not sure if you're trying to do what I think you are but are you saying that when you fill in the data on the form, some of the lines of text are longer than your text box on the report? If so, simply go to your Report/DesignView and select the TextBox, go to the Properties for that box and on the FormatTab set to YES the CanGrow/CanShrink properties. I use that on my PurchaseOrder report because my end user sometimes had a very long description that would not show on the report. Give that a try and see if it works....that is IF I understood your situation properly.

have a nice one,
    Bud