Unanswered: Timeout Expired - Sql Database

We have two Windows 2000 IIS 5.0 servers that sit outside our firewall that connect to a SQL 2000 cluster behind our firewall. We continually are recieving Timeout expired messages on the two windows servers that sit outside but no error messages on the SQL side. The messages happen at the exact same time on both web servers wich tells me that it is either the firewall that is having the problem or the SQL server. I had our Networking group run a trace and they see the packets going through the firewall and it looks like the SQL server is sending TCP resets. The web servers are using OLE DB for SQL server to connect, we are at MDAC 2.7 on both the web servers and the SQL server. There is just no ryme or reason to this. Any ideas?

Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

timeout expired

Thank you for the info. I really thought you hit the nail on the head. I went through all of the databases on the server and there were no unusual triggers. Any other thoughts?

Are you using TCP/IP or named pipes?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

timeout expired

We are using TCP/IP.

How do you know that the queries being issued are not simply so huge that they are trying to generate an impossibly large result set and really are "timing out?" ...

How has this possibility been eliminated??
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

I assume you're on the latest service packs for everything? I would also check out sundials idea. Run the queries your getting timeouts on with a server and client trace. See how long it actually takes to execute, how large the result set it, and how long it takes to reach the servers outside of the firewall.
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

timeout expired

The only reason I have really ruled out a long running query is because the timeouts that are occuring are happening at the exact same time on both of the webservers. The webservers are load balanced so you might have one person hitting one server and a completely different person hitting the other at the exact same time. The timeouts happen to the minute on both servers. We had our networking person looking at the logs on the firewall and he says he sees frozen windows with TCP resets coming from the SQL server. We have all of the latest patches and Service packs installed.