Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Unanswered: Subform that works like Subdata sheet

I have a unique user interface challenge. Ideally what I need is for a form/subform interface to work like a table/subdatasheet interface; A hierarchical structure that can be expaned to display the subform.

Does anyone know of a way to do this? Via an ActiveX control or otherwise?
    Thanks,
    Bill

if you have a look at your form properties, you can change between single form, continuous forms, datasheet, etc.

A datasheet or continuous view isn't what I'm looking for. From a continuous form (form view), the record needs to be expaned or exploded to reveal the subform information that is contained therein (Also a continuous form).
    Thanks,
    Bill

create your form, and insert a subform. If you set both the main form and it's subform to datasheet, you will get an expandable datasheet, ie: If you click the plus sign for a record, it's details will be shown in a datasheet inside the main sheet

Subform that works like Subdata sheet

Quote Originally Posted by Saila
    create your form, and insert a subform. If you set both the main form and it's subform to datasheet, you will get an expandable datasheet, ie: If you click the plus sign for a record, it's details will be shown in a datasheet inside the main sheet
    Saila,

I tried just now what you suggest, but the data that came with my clicking the (+) had incorrect connection of data. Originally I had the MainForm set as Form with the underlying data in a SubForm set to Datasheet. Would be nice if it worked the other way because I like using SubDatasheets, but don't want my users having access to the tables direct. I will look into this further though as it would be a nice way to get the data.

smiles,
    Bud

Hi

If I understand you correctly, you want a continuous form containing a continuous subform that can effectively be hidden or expanded?
    I ran into this problem myself- you can't have continous form subforms within a continuous forms form. The rather inelegant solution I used was to set up the first form as a normal continuous form with no subform. Within that continuous form, I had a small button with a "+" sign. On pressing that, a second, modal continuous form appeared showing the related data (passing the foreign key across in the where condition of the openform method). Not quite an explosion, more of a splutter really. But it might do the job if there is no other solution forthcoming.

Also, Bud - it might be worth checking your form again. As I understand it Salia's suggestion should only affect the presentation of the data, not the data to be presented. So long as your other settings remain the same (especially child and master links) the data should be the same.
    Last edited by pootle flump; 05-07-04 at 08:10.

Hi pootle flump,

What I have is a Form set as the MainForm with a Vendor ComboBox. When you click on the scroll arrow and find that find, you select it and then all data related to that Vendor opens up in the SubForm that is set as DataSheetView. However, when I go to DesignView and set the MainForm as DataSheet, the (+) signs are there however when I click on one, the VendorName for the first Vendor is in all the lines, but the information behind each line differs. In other words the Material listed when the (+) expands does not correspond with that One Vendor in the list. But hey, the ComboBox works just as fine.

talk later,
    Bud

just check that you are using the correct fields for your master-child relationship, and check your query/recordsource

just check that you are using the correct fields for your master-child relationship, and check your query/recordsource
    Hi Saila,
    I am using the same fields for my Master/Child relationship which is VendorID. It works great as I have it like that in my Tables...works fine. Just doesn't do the same when I change the form. It only shows the very first Vendor in the Vendor field, however, all the other lines have the info. for the other Vendors, just doesn't show their name. Was worth a try but I'll cool to work with what I have.

have a nice one,
    Bud

when you change your form from what to what?

when you change your form from what to what?
    When I change the MainForm from SingleForm to DataSheet.

Check out the Attachment....Vendors1.bmp, that shows my form as I use it already.
    Check out the Attachment....Vendors2.bmp, that shows after I set the main form to DataSheet. Note the (+) signs denoting expandable information as in the Table Subdatasheets. But notice, the information in each row. Notice the VendorName is the same. Not exactly as I works in Table Subdatasheets.

Thought pic would be worth a thousand words or so.....lol

back at ya,
    Bud
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vendors1.bmp  

Quote Originally Posted by Bud
    When I change the MainForm from SingleForm to DataSheet.

Check out the Attachment....Vendors1.bmp, that shows my form as I use it already.
    Check out the Attachment....Vendors2.bmp, that shows after I set the main form to DataSheet. Note the (+) signs denoting expandable information as in the Table Subdatasheets. But notice, the information in each row. Notice the VendorName is the same. Not exactly as I works in Table Subdatasheets.

Thought pic would be worth a thousand words or so.....lol

back at ya,
    Bud
    Well, let me try the second image again...didn't work just now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vendors2.bmp  

sorry, I'm not seeing the problem in the second image... It looks as though it is diplaying the data correctly, with a subsheet for each master record

Hi Bud - I see the problem (Saila - note the master records verndor name - always D &R). Is your Vendor Combo Box bound to a field from the form record source or is it simply a drop down of all possible vendors that allows the users to filter/ find the records according to the vendor records they want to see? Also, if in the original Form/ SubDataSheet view, if you move to the next record does the combo box retain D &R or does it display the next vendor name?
    Last edited by pootle flump; 05-08-04 at 21:03.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

agh, crap. I missed it