Lightbulb Unanswered: DB2 Migration using DTS

Hi all,

I tried migrating MS-SQL database to DB2, through MS DTS package - using ODBC connection. Unfortunately, it failed with some security reason. I was wondering if anyone has tried this before? I would really appreciate it if you can guide me to migrate to DB2.

Thanks in advance.

Destination: DB2 Connect edition 8.1.5
    Source: SQL 2000 database

Last edited by dsusendran; 05-06-04 at 15:49. Reason: additional information added

I would go to the IBM site and check out the IBM Migration Tool Kit. You can find it at http://www.ibm.com/db2/migration/mtk It works great and there e mail support is fairly responsive. If you have any trouble with it just post. BTW I just converted a SQL 2000 Database to DB2 8.1 using this tool
    Jim

Dots connected and i won!

Well I am aware of the IBM's MTK. I was just wondering if we could use Microsoft's DTS tool to convert from SQL to DB2 -- by specifying the ODBC connections.

By using an odbc connection you will suffer greatly in performance. If you want to get the data over in your life time I would suggest d/l the sql server native drivers at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    and then by playing with the batch files that the MTK creates enabling the use of the drivers. to quote the MTK Support team:
    Take a look inside
    DataMove_conversion_data.bat

You will see some lines that look like:
    REM What is the label for the source database?
    set SRC_DATABASE=SQL2000
    REM Are you using a native driver to access the source database?
    set SRC_NATIVE=FALSE

Change them, substituting the ip address of the host for hostname and the port number for port

REM What is the label for the source database?
    set SRC_DATABASE=hostnameort
    REM Are you using a native driver to access the source database?
    set SRC_NATIVE=TRUE

If the system classpath does not already include msbase.jar, mssqlserver.jar, and msutil.jar, add those to the line:
    set classpath=%USERDIR%mtk.jar;%USERDIR%xmistore.jar;% USERDIR%cwm.jar;%CLASSPATH%

If you are running the scripts on UNIX or LINUX, then you will make comparable changes to DataMove_conversion_data.sh

This will activate the drivers and you will pump data much faster.

The tool isnt streight forward, so if you have any questions you can ask here or you can e mail there support team. I will try to help as much as I can