Question Unanswered: Oracle Transparent Gateway DB2 OS/390

I'm looking for experiences using OTG for DB2 on OS/390 - good or bad. A potential customer claims IBM is telling them it will lock up an application based on DB2. Has anyone ever experienced such a situation? The Oracle server is running Solaris and Oracle 8i (8.1.7), possibly being upgraded to Oracle 9.2
    Regards,
    Terry

Hi,

OTG is not reliable for running applications. It can not handle large data volumes. Also it has limitations on executing SQL functions. It can be used as a tool to just browse the data.

You can go for Db2 Connect instead, for your applications.
    Hope this helps
    Santhi
    Last edited by santhip; 05-07-04 at 15:52.

"OTG is not reliable for running applications. It can not handle large data volumes. Also it has limitations on executing SQL functions. It can be used as a tool to just browse the data."

Would you care to expound on that?
    Regards,
    Terry

What exactly you are looking for, using OTG?
    What kind of application is it, that you want to execute via OTG?
    If you can give me some more details I can share my experience if I can.

I'm looking to initiate a stored procedure (Oracle) on Oracle data when a record is inserted, modified or deleted in a DB2 table (i.e. using a trigger on the DB2 table.

I would also need the abilility to query DB2 data and write a message to a DB2 table. This is more of an application interface than an application. The data sets would likely be fairly small.
    Regards,
    Terry

OTG performance, stability going to DB2 data

Hello,

I'm also despairing of an Oracle 8.1.7 application accessing DB2 7.1 for z/OS data that's having a very poor RT: 12 secs to bring over the same single row from a COUNT(*) that has sub-sub-second RT natively over SPUFI.

Also stability problems, we loose connections for no apparent reason.

Any obvious tuning parameters we may be missing? Query also flies natively on Oracle, BTW, OTG seems to be the bottleneck. The SQL only has a single WHERE predicate, and gives back the count of the qualifying rows.

Table has 200k rows.

Thanks in advance from Tangoland (Buenos Aires),

Willy

Otg

Hi,

I would suggest to use OTG only to query the data from z/os just like a oracle client. But if you have a real time application accessing/updating DB2 on z/os then go for DB2 connect. I implemented an application using DB2 Connect and a java thin client. Its very fast and reliable. I didnt face any problem till now. DB2 connect licenses are not that expensive also.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks