Unanswered: SQLPLUS COMPUTE SUM: Is conditional summing or other manipulation possible?

I'm developing a reconciliation report in SQLPLUS which needs summation to happen at several levels. Unfortunately, to avoid spurious variances and a cluttered appearance, I need to produce the lowest level of summation by means of a second pass through the data, rather than using COMPUTE.

Therefore when I try to use COMPUTE at the higher levels, the amounts for that column are doubled, because they're there from the inner SELECT, and then they're there again for the lowest level totals.

Is there any way to manipulate summation when using COMPUTE SUM? Ideally, I want to have a way that I can tell it to compute, but then divide the result by 2.
    Last edited by Pithecanthropus; 05-06-04 at 21:02.

Or alternatively, it would solve my problem if there is a way to say, in effect, that I want Oracle to sum the values, but only for those rows that meet some condition.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Pithecanthropus
    Or alternatively, it would solve my problem if there is a way to say, in effect, that I want Oracle to sum the values, but only for those rows that meet some condition.
    I think you have to make use of inline views here
    Thanks and Regards,

Praveen Pulikunnu

Somthing like this should work

Code:
    Select d, Sum(a)
    From (Select b, c, d, Sum(a) a
             From Table
             Where Conditions
             Group By b, c, d)
    Where b = ??
       and c in (...)
    Group By d

Thanks for the responses so far.

I was able to make it work with an inline view. It's the approach I was taking originally, but needed to revise the design a bit to make work.