Unanswered: importing excel files

i need to import an excel file with over 5000 records, i am unable to complete the operation. I can't figure out why its giving me this error. I'm importing into an existing table with all the same corresponding field names. What gives? Any suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron

Generally the type of errors that stop an import would be "Type Mismatch", ie. it tries to import a text field into a number field.

When you import a table from external data (excel file in this case) and errors occur, then it should complete the import and create a 2nd table giving details of what type of error and where they occurred. Did it not create a 2nd table of errors?
    Regards,
    Rod.

Programmer response #5 - "Even though it doesn't work, how does it feel?"

Provided Answers: 8
    Quote Originally Posted by ax2ron
    i need to import an excel file with over 5000 records, i am unable to complete the operation. I can't figure out why its giving me this error. I'm importing into an existing table with all the same corresponding field names. What gives? Any suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron
    Why not save the excel file as a CSV file then try importing the CSV file
    if you have dates in the data try format the dates as dd mmm yyyy '07 May 2004'
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

Exporting/Importing Excel

Okay I have done alot of changing Excel files into a database. If you dont mind my suggesting so... I would take the data put it in columns and at the top of all the columns insert a row to input your field names. Now open your access database. Tell it to import an Excel file. Tell it the first line has the headers. Import it to a >>NEW<< table. After you get a complete sucessful import then you can view the two tables side by side and if you need to you can merge the tables.

I hope that helps some. If you need anything explained in more detail please let me know.

JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs