Candidate key and unique key

Is there any difference between,

Candidate key, unique key and a primary key...?

Is there any difference between these?

"Candidate key" is a term from relational database theory, meaning any potential key for a table (primary or not). The term is not used in Oracle.

"Primary Key" and "Unique" are two kinds of constraint supported by Oracle and other SQL databases:

Primary Key: a table can only have one Primary Key, which cannot contain any nullable columns. Every row in the table is guaranteed to have unique values in the primary key columns.

Unique: a table can have any number of unique constraints. Unique constraints are not true keys, because they can contain nulls. Uniqueness is enforced only when values are not null.

Thanks Andrew,

Now tell me.. What is the difference between alrernate key and a candidate key ...

Is alternate key a mere cocept??? Or can we simulate such one in oracle?

What I understand from alternate key is that... "A candidate key which uniquely identifies the record, apart from the primary key".

How can we have two different keys in a table??

Regards,
    Amjath

"Alternate" again comes from the theory - it is any candidate key apart from the primary key. It is similar to SQL's Unique constraint, except that it is a true key (i.e. cannot contain nulls). So yes, you can simulate an alternate key in Oracle using a combination of NOT NULL and UNIQUE constraints.

A table can easily have 2 or more candidate keys: for example, consider this table for hotel room reservations:

CREATE TABLE reservation
    ( reservation_no INTEGER NOT NULL
    , room_no INTEGER NOT NULL
    , from_date DATE NOT NULL
    , to_date DATE NOT NULL
    );

There are 3 candidate keys here - i.e. three sets of columns whose values must always be unique to a single row:

1) reservation_no

2) room_no, from_date

3) room_no, to_date

If we choose reservation_no to be the primary key, then the other 2 are alternate keys. (But we could choose any of the 3 as the primary).

In Oracle, we would define these 3 keys like this:

ALTER TABLE reservation ADD
    ( CONSTRAINT res_pk PRIMARY KEY (reservation_no)
    , CONSTRAINT res_uk1 UNIQUE (room_no, from_date)
    , CONSTRAINT res_uk2 UNIQUE (room_no, to_date)
    );

Andrew,

Thanks for the quick reply.