Question Unanswered: START WITH parameter for CONNECT BY

Hi all,

I am a relative newbie to Oracle development.

I am developing a report in Crystal Reports 8 with an Oracle 8i back-end.

The tables involved are pretty straight forward:
    tbl_business_unit (PK: bu_id)
    tbl_employee (PK: emp_id; FK: bu_id)

I want to use a CONNECT BY hierarchical query that displays results for all employees in a particular branch of the business unit hierarchy. This is pretty straight forward if I hardcode the bu_id, or even the emp_id:

For example:

SELECT bu_id, name, parent_id
    FROM tbl_business_unit
    START WITH bu_id = 'bu0023'
    CONNECT BY PRIOR bu_id = parent_id;

SELECT bu_id, name, parent_id
    FROM tbl_business_unit
    START WITH bu_id = (SELECT bu_id FROM tbl_employee WHERE emp_id = 'emp0061')
    CONNECT BY PRIOR bu_id = parent_id;

The problem with the above examples is that the ID parameters are hardcoded, and all the examples I have seen use this approach, but I need to pass the START WITH expression as a parameter at runtime - when this report is finally implemented the START WITH expression will be the business unit of the person running the report.

The other problem is that I actually want to return data from tbl_employee (name, address, etc), but the above queries only return business unit data. Everything I have read says that I can't use joins with a CONNECT BY.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Paul Hobbs

Provided Answers: 1
    I don't know Crystal Reports, but the process for using a parameter for the START WITH value should be the same as the process for using a parameter in the WHERE clause, e.g. something like:

START WITH :param1