Question Unanswered: Need help with a report

Hi all,

Here is my problem, I will try to be as detailed as possible:
    I am creating a database for the company I work for, in order to keep track of our log inventory. In my database I have feilds for species, log number, length, board footage, etc...
    I have already created reports that outline our inventory for each different species, but now I would like to create a "totals" report that would show something like this:

MAPLE TOTALS:
    Logs: 568
    Board footage: 12,256
    Total value: $50,000

This information would be displayed for each different species. I have tried many different ways but can't seem to make it work. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated Thanks
    ---
    Phil J.
    Cherry Forest Veneers Ltd.

logs boards and such

Couldn't you just build a query to build the totals you need and then build a report with that query. Alternatively just just use the whole table and put the sums and such in a group footer and hide the detail section of the report. Good luck

Report summing and grouping

To dynamically created the totals you would use the sorting and grouping function built into the report. You would create a "Group Detail" .

Start in report design by clicking on the "Sorting and Grouping" report design toolbar button. The Sorting and grouping dialog will open, then add the field that you want to do the math on. Then you either add a control to the group section that refers to that field and its control source would be =Sum([field_name]) or = Count([field_name]) within the group detail section that you added.

Hi Spiderweb,

Just as keyesph1 noted, you create your report and go to the Sorting/Grouping menu. Create a GroupHeader for whatever your FieldName for Maple, etc... Just say that FieldName is [Woods]. In the MenuBar click the Sorting/Grouping button. The window pops up. In the Field/Expression box Click on it until you find that field [Woods]. Below that in the same DialogBox click the GroupHeader and GroupFooter and select YES. Sort to your liking and then Close that Dialog window. In ReportDesign look for the GroupHeader/Footer bars...Click on your FieldList box at the top and Drag-N-Drop [Woods] in the Header section. Drag your other fields into the DetailSection. Assuming you have a field that holds the totals for each type Drag that onto the DetailSection. Create a TextBox and do the math to get your line totals for each. In the GroupFooter section place a TextBox and sum up your fields there. Or IF you just have a one line total for each Wood type just place that field in the DetailSection. In the TextBox in the footer do this:
    Code:
      =Sum([Logs])  =Sum([BoardFootage])   =Sum([TotalValue])
    See attached below: I'm heading for lunch and will check back later. Hope this helps. If not Zip and Post your report and attach here.

BUD

Each of those of course relate directly to the fields you have in the DetailsSection.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks alot guys, I will try that out today and let you know how it works
    ---
    Phil J.
    Cherry Forest Veneers Ltd.